• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It's time to close that operation down, it's done enough harm.

I agree wholeheartedly! Back in high school (went to a Catholic school, which I am still paying the loan my parents gave me for that), we had a very outspoken and pretty much activist religion teacher. I despised her, in as I was at the school for an education, not Catholic brainwashing (another story, but semi pertinant) and she pushed it HARD down our throats. Tests in that class were based on HER ideology, not Catholic doctrine!

It was the first time I had heard of the "School of the Americas". Pretty much any civil rights violations in other countries performed by the militaries in South America were taught at the School of the Americas. She had evidence she presented in the class as well. I pretty much blew it all off as more of her political and religious ideology being shoved up my tuckuss.

During college, I studied a bit of political science (minored in it) and it really struck me that we are not only funding the training of dictators, but also the training of torture techniques and guerilla warfare. Pretty much, we are teaching them to torture their citizens into submission and keep in power, but then also retain/gain power via guerilla warfare, further promoting dictatorships in South and Central America.

It wasn't until I was not being force fed the information that I truely understood the power of the injustice there but also what the US was supporting. We scream and yell about no torture or no unethical combat (no such thing, but hey, for arguement's sake), but yet we continue to fund and support these training regimines?!

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    "About 200 of these former Mexican Special Forces gone rogue were trained by U.S. Army Special Forces at the School of the Americas at Fort Benning, Ga., in the early 1990s."

That what Army SF does. They train foreign soldiers how to fight. When it works, it's a force multiplier. Sometimes it doesn't work to our advantage.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    These guys are the worst of the worst when it comes to the cartels and over 200 of them were trained by the American military at the School of the America's. We've also trained any number of soldiers for other 3rd world dictators there, as well. It's time to close that operation down, it's done enough harm.

America's Third War: Mapping the Drug Cartels - FoxNews.com

Yup and that has not been any kind of a secret to anyone...

They were trained by some of Our best when they were die hard in the wool supporters of the Mexican Government. We trained them to help in the war against drugs. So if you really want to be angry at someone, be angry at the Politicians that are forcing their crap on us...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yup and that has not been any kind of a secret to anyone...

They were trained by some of Our best when they were die hard in the wool supporters of the Mexican Government. We trained them to help in the war against drugs. So if you really want to be angry at someone, be angry at the Politicians that are forcing their crap on us...
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the military. They're just following orders from the pols. The school's done a lot of damage, tho and needs to be shut down. Sadly, the tools in DC aren't likely to do it, they love meddling in others affairs. And they don't care that many of the graduates of that school go on to found death squads and military dictatorships.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One of my biggest fears though is actually shutting the school down...

Hear me out on this.
    The School has a couple of reasons. The main reason of the schools is to teach Assymetrical Warfare to Our Soldiers. The way the School gets its funding though comes from teaching Foreign Soldiers the Arts of War. Another use of the School is to give us an easy view at foreign countries capabilities. Yet another use of the Courses for Our Soldiers is to use real Foriegn Soldiers to learn to gather Reece from.

The School does turn out some of the worst of Our Problems...
    However, it does have benefits. I do disagree with some of the tech and doctrine that is taught. But, not with what we do at the School...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming the military. They're just following orders from the pols. The school's done a lot of damage, tho and needs to be shut down. Sadly, the tools in DC aren't likely to do it, they love meddling in others affairs. And they don't care that many of the graduates of that school go on to found death squads and military dictatorships.

I've heard this crap before and I'm sick of it. The school has also been used to train Hondurans, Costa Ricans, Bolivians, Columbians, pretty much any country with either a drug or insurgent problem. They don't teach how to torture; they don't teach how to murder; they teach how to fight an insurgency - asymmetrical warfare. Some soldiers continue to use that knowledge for the good of their own country; some decide to sell out to the highest bidder - that's the nature of soldiery in Central and South America. The other purpose of the school, as it is with almost any foreign military exchange program, is to take the measure of the types of military personnel in other countries and to, as much as is possible, inculcate them with our values, not only to make them allies but to make them better soldiers. The military doesn't get to pick the soldiers who get trained there, and I'm certain they don't like some of the material they get, but the school serves several good purposes and doesn't need to be badmouthed by liberation theologists. I had several confrontations about this sort of crap with a Jesuit Priest who taught at Brebeouf a few years ago. I doubt I convinced him of his error, but I find it interesting that he dropped dead a month or so after I walked out of one of his Masses when he started a rant about the School of the Americas. Maybe God agreed with me...

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We affectionately called it "The School of the Hulios" .

The protests outside the main gate were always entertaining.

Dated information linked below:

United States Army School of the Americas: Background and Congressional Concerns

This facility is like a gun; guns don't kill people, people kill people.

The actions this school takes is to share US military knowledge, culture, and values.

Unless you have attended or instructed, you really have no truely educated ground to preach from.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    It's that time of year. Every year, about the middle of November, Martin Sheen and a group of hippie protesters would come to Benning to protest. They made it a pain in the ass to get on and off post.

Our military/intelligence community has trained and armed some pretty shady groups at one time or another, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do at the time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seems like I read about this in a Brad Thor novel a few years ago...

Anything the Sheens or Baldwins are against, my instinct is to be in favor of...

Top Bottom