• ...and so much more!
  • jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hello again,

Ok, so I have accumulated a few rounds of various ammunition. I read on the Net that it should not be stored with your firearms. Sounds sensible to me.
    My question to the forum, is where and in what do you store roe ammunition ?

I definitely want to have it under lock and key to slow down a thief and of course reduce the chance of accidents.
    So what do you, the pro's, do with it?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

:draw:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Is you main reason to deter a thief? Are there any other concerns, such as toddlers or something?

Lock your doors and windows. Bam, there is your lock and key.

If you are competent with firearms having ammo in the same room shouldn't be a problem.

I like ammo cans to put ammo in. Air tight.

Also, if someone is breaking in, will you have time to go into room a for the gun and then into room b and unlock the ammo?

Be safe and smart. If that means two different rooms to you, so be it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hello again,

Ok, so I have accumulated a few rounds of various ammunition. I read on the Net that it should not be stored with your firearms. Sounds sensible to me.

I definitely want to have it under lock and key to slow down a thief and of course reduce the chance of accidents.
    So what do you, the pro's, do with it?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

:draw:
    I store mine in a empty 5 gal paint bucket with a air tight seal screw on lid. Mixed in along with my other paint cans in a storage bin in the basement. My guns are in a regular gun safe so the two are kept separate and I don't think anyone is going to go through paint cans looking for ammo.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for your input so far; seeing there are many facets to this issue, I'll gladly listen to all statements. I have no small children, and always keep my weapons unloaded and locked in a cabinet. Of course the one on me is ready to go. I just like the idea of ammo separate from firearm storage.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Personally, if at all possible....I prefer to try my best to keep as much ammo as possible in gun safes......not only are they protected from theft but also from fire...without it as such you could keep fire teams from being able to put out your home in a reasonable amount of time............also the additional weight in the safe keeps thiefs from picking up an unbolted safe or dollying it out............depending on the amount you own, I even consider a separate gun safe just for ammo................just some thoughts

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    What is the reason for not keeping ammo in the same safes you keep your guns in? I've been doing it for 30+ years and never had a problem with it. I do clean my guns every 4 months whether they have been used or not, but I've never noticed an issue.:dunno:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Used to keep ammo in the safe but it got too crowded in there. I suppose it might be a good idea to get another safe to dedicate to ammo storage. For now all ammo is boxed, bagged and stowed in ammo cans in the coolest driest place I can find.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    One of those "I heard" deals, but I've been told of ammo stored in safes cooking off during a fire and causing considerable damage to the firearms stored inside. Bacically having a fire inside of the safe. I've never seen this (hope I don't), and don't personally know anyone who has had this happen.

Like was said, ammo cans in a cool, dry place are a good bet, as would be a dedicated safe if one could do that.
    Ammo cans in a large, sturdy lockable cabinet would be a good deal too. That would keep it out of sight from casual observation. The less people know, the better.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I had a large chest type freezer that we weren't using so I converted it to an ammo storage locker. I went down in the basement and put 4x4s under the floor joists and supported the whole thing with basement jacks. I store my ammo in shrink wrapped packages in mil surp ammo cans. I have 4K rounds of .223, 5K rounds of .308, 5K rounds of 9mm, 5K rounds of .45ACP, 3K rounds of .22 plus all my misc ammo (.40 cal, 460S&W, 500 S&W, .357, 12 ga. etc). In addition, all my reloading supplies (powder, primers and bullets) fit in there nicely as well. The freezer has a locking lid to keep the grand kids out. I also have room to store some short guns and knives as well.

Not too many intruders would ransack a freezer looking for weapons. I store my dog food and dog treats in plastic tubs on top of the freezer, so they would have to move that to break into the freezer.

I thought of putting a dehumidifier in there, but for now, I just toss all my desiccant packages in with the ammo.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Old freezer

Now that is really thinking out of the box! Very good idea, and it is green too, saves the freezer from the landfill.
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom