• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Is Angie's list worth the money of joining? Has anyone had experience with the list, and what is your opinion of it? I'm looking to get some work done on the house, and I've got a couple of good references from friends, but am looking further. Your thoughts?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My experience involved a home inspector. I joined A/L specifically for this purpose. I chose one that had very high ratings and nothing but positive accolades. I was less than impressed with the service received. I contacted the A/L people and their response was basically "Your Mileage May Vary". You pays your money you takes your chances. I wouldn't bother checking with them for anything ever again, word of been from people you know that have "been there done that" experience is going to be your best bet.

Of course, "Your mileage may vary"!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I won't spend the money for A/L. I would rather hire someone local, or by word of mouth.

In my experience, it's better to get family to come over and help out. Cheap labor! I've always repaid by having a cook out.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I found my current HVAC guy through AL (2 years ago at my old house). I've never dealt with a harder working, make time for you guy in my life.

He is owner/operator. He's fair on pricing, makes time for his clients and is willing to walk you through exactly everything that is or isn't an immediate concern with your system.

I also got a home inspection from someone on AL, although my inspection was very thorough I felt. I even got a .pdf with the few issues that arose along with pictures of the issues.

I'm 2/2 for great experiences on AL.:yesway:

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, it's worth it, but.....
    What you get is the confidence to deal with someone who's been recommended by many more people than you have friends. The downsides are many -- sometimes you get a stinker anyway, you get hounded by AL to give reviews, and if you give a bad review to someone they get to respond with excuses that often are lies.

Overall, it's worthwhile. What we have found to be the most valuable is to confirm friends' recommendations with AL.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I registered on Angies List with the intent of getting a membership. I didn't buy the membership and I'm constantly getting email from them now for membership. I have a problem with that. Send me one reminder and then maybe another one in a month but not every few days. I hate being pestered.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well, I registered on Angies List with the intent of getting a membership. I didn't buy the membership and I'm constantly getting email from them now for membership. I have a problem with that. Send me one reminder and then maybe another one in a month but not every few days. I hate being pestered.

I heard that Angie's list is owned by the NRA. :cool:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is Angie's list worth the money of joining? Has anyone had experience with the list, and what is your opinion of it? I'm looking to get some work done on the house, and I've got a couple of good references from friends, but am looking further. Your thoughts?

You could just hire me... I do all kinds of home repair and handyman jobs...I've lived here in Greenwood for 23 years and can give you plenty of references if needed.
    Feilen Custom Painting and Remodeling....317-885-0171... Chris (hope this isn't against any forum rules)
    P.s. I work for guns

Last edited:

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Joined AL to get a concrete patio installed. Went with the best I could find. 29 days and 2 patio's later I finally got it done. They were nice enough to destroy my entire yard in the process too. Nice people. According to them, they sub-contracted their work (twice) and both times I got the shaft. Then 3rd time they finally sent someone from their own group to do the work and it was finished in two days. (including the tear out of one of the crappy built patio's from their other guys.... I will NEVER use Angies list again. Ill pay less on Craigslist and still not do any worse than what AL recommends.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh and here's the email I got from them today...
    Join Angie's List today and save 40%!
    Use promo code LADDER54 by 5/29/11

Just like anything, I think it can be hit and miss. The recommendations are only as good as the people make them out to be. If AL doesn't allow for a proper negative comment, then that completely stinks. I don't know from first hand experience. Like I said, I didn't actually become a paid member.

I just now updated my email preferences (from what I thought was again) but we'll see if I get anymore after 5 days from now. I wish I could just remove my email address from them permanently.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It was extremely useful to me when I first joined. But I'm finding of late that my standards and those of the people who leave feedback are slightly different.

It's a good resource if you recognize its limitations. It will help you avoid the real losers, but the gems will be harder to come by because some people are extremely easy to please and their idea of what constitutes a good service provider is unique to them.

Just to clarify, you can leave negative feedback. The comment above about lying is referring to the service providers attempting to excuse their behavior, not about Angie's List protecting the service providers.. I've left some scathing negative reports for a plumber and an electrician without any questionable behavior by Angie's List.

If you have recommendations from friends, start there. You can check up on the company with the BBB and get roughly the same information that is available on Angie's List. I see Angie's List as a last resort for finding a service provider, but nothing more.

FWIW, I will not be renewing my membership when it comes time. Mostly because I have already developed solid relationship with the most commonly used service providers (plumber and HVAC). INGO usually comes through for the others (though the electrician and concrete recommendations were a bust--no fault of the INGOers who made the recommendation though). And then I usually just let my fingers do the walking since I have enough experience in this now to know what questions to ask for my purposes and to read the answers (landlording gives me too much practice in this area).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh and here's the email I got from them today...
    Join Angie's List today and save 40%!
    Use promo code LADDER54 by 5/29/11

Just like anything, I think it can be hit and miss. The recommendations are only as good as the people make them out to be. If AL doesn't allow for a proper negative comment, then that completely stinks. I don't know from first hand experience. Like I said, I didn't actually become a paid member.

I just now updated my email preferences (from what I thought was again) but we'll see if I get anymore after 5 days from now. I wish I could just remove my email address from them permanently.

You should update your email address with the wrong email.

I did that with my credit card info so they couldn't auto renew my membership.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmm... why AL when we have IL? INGO LIST!

I've never gone wrong when asking for advice here on INGO. As a matter of fact, just this week I had my A/C checked out by a small-town company that I never would have known about without the recommendations of INGO. When he left, I asked how much I owed him. He said I don't owe him anything right now, just let him know what I want to do about the small leak in my evaporator coil.

Top Bottom