• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I see load data from the Hodgdon reloading website calls for small magnum rifle primers for .300AAC, but the data in my LEE die set just says small rifle primers.
    So, can I use regular small rifle primers, or do I really need the magnum primers?
    I'm planning to use 168gr Sierra Match King HPBT and H110.
    Any help?

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I don't have experience with 300BO but H110 powder always recommends the use of magnum primers with that powder. Is it mandatory, prob not. If you are going to be shooting in sub 32 degree weather, prob a good idea.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    From my personal experience I haven't loaded up a bunch of supers and mainly just subs, so I am only loading around 7 grains of powder but I use small rifle primers with great success. My buddies who have loaded many supers still use small rifle primers with success. I'm guessing you'd be fine.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've used both standard and magnum RIFLE primers w/ H110 in 300 BLK and both performed identically. Some say that magnum primers are "hotter" but I've never found any actual data that says that. The main difference is that magnum primers are slightly stronger to resist splitting. But at the loading you're doing with 300 BLK I don't think you'll have a problem either way.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've used both standard and magnum RIFLE primers w/ H110 in 300 BLK and both performed identically... at the loading you're doing with 300 BLK I don't think you'll have a problem either way.

Just what I wanted to hear.
    Thank you.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When a powder company recommends magnum primers with a certain powder, there is a reason. H110/W296 takes a fair amount of heat and pressure to burn consistently.

I'd get the primers recommended for the load, particularly if you're going to shoot much in cold temperatures.

Top Bottom