• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Nuts, I was hoping this meant you had a baby.

Your wife is probably just too nice to shut the door on someone who won't quit talking. Hope tomorrow's better Tactical ;)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I just open the door and point at the "NO SOLICITING" sign on the storm door and don't say a word. They generally just give a stupid look for about 30 seconds and leave.

I did have one who, while I was pointing at the sign, say he was working his way through college. I told him he should transfer his credits to a college that would teach him to read. He left immediately.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Harold and Kumar

I'm going to head this off at the pass and post the response thread early.

"Can't a guy make an honest living as a door to door salesman in today's world?!" :xmad:

"So, I'm starting this new job selling carpet machines and just getting
    ready to make a sale to this woman when her a-hole husband comes
    in and runes my sale!!"

"Dude had a few screws loose, he sat outside in his truck... WHO DOES THAT?!"

"I felt like I would be involved in that scene from Deliverance so I high tailed it out of there before I went any further."
    :(
    Could have been a Freak Show moment though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I got sick of him being there I would start dragging odd things out of the garage into my bedroom.

Like an axe, a box of trash bags and roll of ducktape. Then Id shut the door to my room, But leave it open just a crack, and started playing this song as loud as my computer speaker will play it.

[ame]http://youtu.be/X_DVS_303kQ[/ame]

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I'm going to head this off at the pass and post the response thread early.

"Can't a guy make an honest living as a door to door salesman in today's world?!" :xmad:

"So, I'm starting this new job selling carpet machines and just getting
    ready to make a sale to this woman when her a-hole husband comes
    in and runes my sale!!"

"Dude had a few screws loose, he sat outside in his truck... WHO DOES THAT?!"

"I felt like I would be involved in that scene from Deliverance so I high tailed it out of there before I went any further."
    :(

At least he didn't come in and ask you to play of game of swords!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got no problem with door to door sales people. It's about the hardest sales job in the world. I may not be interested in buying what they've got, but I won't be a jackwagon to them. Even the "former crack addicts selling magazines." I won't let them in my house, but I won't go off in a huff, either.

When I was in high school our cross country team did fundraisers by selling lightbulbs door to door. That was actually successful. You'd be amazed how many people need lightbulbs. LOL.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I just open the door and point at the "NO SOLICITING" sign on the storm door and don't say a word. They generally just give a stupid look for about 30 seconds and leave....................

I have one of those and I have done that. :laugh:

I have gone to the extent of not saying a word, placing my finger on the
    left side of the sign, then slowly moving my finger to the right all the
    while staring at the person.... silently. Then I smile as I close the door. :D

Works every time.
    :):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It was a Kirby.... Found out a while back from the hoa lady that they have the only permit that allows a company to go door to door regardless of no soliciting signs.... Country wide if I remember right.

Ooh, that just evokes all kinds of unfriendly chemical reactions in my brain. If I put up a no soliciting sign, NOBODY has the authority to issue a license that supersedes that. Unfortunately it'll be the poor dink they sent that gets a piece of my mind in through the out door, rather than Joe Bureaucrat.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nuts, I was hoping this meant you had a baby.

Your wife is probably just too nice to shut the door on someone who won't quit talking. Hope tomorrow's better Tactical ;)

Yeah she has a good heart... Baby due January, she has the diabetes they you get only during pregnancy so we are not sure when in January... Due date is late January.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I came home from work one day and a Kirby sales guy was demoing his 1800 vacuum. First question that I had asked. I had him pack his crap immediately. He made a phone call while doing so and said he could give us a break 1200. I pointed to the door. I made him sit on his wares till the van came to pick him up and his vac. I got a bill in the mail for 2300 a month later which included financing charges for the unit we did not buy. It took me 2 months to get it straightened out. I demanded the finance company come over and show me where this pos was that we bought. That finally helped. I got a hold of the local Kirby dealer in Greenwood and threatened to bring a lawsuit. That was the end. It was a nightmare. Even though I ripped up ALL paperwork the sales guy had he had called it in and processed the loan over the phone.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Some more detail....

When I got mad and asked him how much longer he said "maybe 30 minutes, your carpet has a lot of dirt in it" I then get more angry and walk off and hear a sarcastic "we'll okay then" I got out in the garage and slam the door loud enough for him to hear it.

As I am working in the garage 10 minutes later he walks out and says "have a good night sir" as he leaves....

I later asked my wife if she booted him and she said that after I walked out he came out and asked if he should finish or leave and she said it would probably be best that he left so he did.

A lady knocked on the door, was a little dark as she was walking away wife though it was our neighbor. Lady says fill out a survey and we will come back and clean carpets... She says ok and guy comes back and says let me give you this sales pitch and then I will clean, wife says okay but we are not buying. It took another hour before he was ready to clean... That is when I come in.

The main reason I did not get loud and more aggressive is wife is pregnant with a few health issues that she battles while pregnant and our 3 year old son was in the house. All though the guy was rather rude and I doubt does well in sales I felt he got the drift quickly... Nothing I did would have warranted him calling the cops making the situation worse.

I though about calling Kerby but I doubt they would care... Though about a no soliciting sign but since thy ignore the ones at the front of the neighborhood I doubt they would care...

The last guy I was alone with... Got him all upset and when he told me he hopes I call the cops I did....

I may consider having a firearm when there is a knock on the door, neighbors are pro gun and know the door bell is disconnected so if you are knocking I better know you.... Legally though that might be dumb.

And I know it's not dirt it is stains... Previous owner put white carpet in... Having a company that does crime scene clean up and flood/fire damage clean them... No way his little machine would have done a thing...

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    When we were building our house, we found some literature from a local well known cabinet companies sitting in one of the window sills. One day, my wife was out checking on the progress and a guy pulled in and said that that was his third trip out there and he was glad to finally get ahold of us. We had already ordered our cabinets months before that and there's no way I would buy from a company with sales tactics like that. How many people are half way done building a house and don't have their cabinets picked out or ordered by then?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Dave, I also had an almost identical Kirby situation as you years ago. I came home from work and walked into the house to find a man standing there. I was a little surprised as there were no strange vehicles parked anywhere around. It was a Kirby salesman. He had knocked on the door and my wife couldn't hear him over the dogs parking. She said hold on, she'd put the dogs up and come back. She came back and there were 2 guys dragging their crap into the house. It took forever to get the guy to leave and then he asked if he could use our phone to call his partner to come pick him up.

One of them bastards shows up while I'm here, he'll be looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge if he tries to push his way in like he did my wife.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Some more detail....

When I got mad and asked him how much longer he said "maybe 30 minutes, your carpet has a lot of dirt in it" I then get more angry and walk off and hear a sarcastic "we'll okay then" I got out in the garage and slam the door loud enough for him to hear it.

As I am working in the garage 10 minutes later he walks out and says "have a good night sir" as he leaves....

I later asked my wife if she booted him and she said that after I walked out he came out and asked if he should finish or leave and she said it would probably be best that he left so he did.

A lady knocked on the door, was a little dark as she was walking away wife though it was our neighbor. Lady says fill out a survey and we will come back and clean carpets... She says ok and guy comes back and says let me give you this sales pitch and then I will clean, wife says okay but we are not buying. It took another hour before he was ready to clean... That is when I come in.

The main reason I did not get loud and more aggressive is wife is pregnant with a few health issues that she battles while pregnant and our 3 year old son was in the house. All though the guy was rather rude and I doubt does well in sales I felt he got the drift quickly... Nothing I did would have warranted him calling the cops making the situation worse.

I though about calling Kerby but I doubt they would care... Though about a no soliciting sign but since thy ignore the ones at the front of the neighborhood I doubt they would care...

The last guy I was alone with... Got him all upset and when he told me he hopes I call the cops I did....

I may consider having a firearm when there is a knock on the door, neighbors are pro gun and know the door bell is disconnected so if you are knocking I better know you.... Legally though that might be dumb.

And I know it's not dirt it is stains... Previous owner put white carpet in... Having a company that does crime scene clean up and flood/fire damage clean them... No way his little machine would have done a thing...

Im a bit bothered that you left your wife alone with that guys, just IMHO...

Dave, I also had an almost identical Kirby situation as you years ago. I came home from work and walked into the house to find a man standing there. I was a little surprised as there were no strange vehicles parked anywhere around. It was a Kirby salesman. He had knocked on the door and my wife couldn't hear him over the dogs parking. She said hold on, she'd put the dogs up and come back. She came back and there were 2 guys dragging their crap into the house. It took forever to get the guy to leave and then he asked if he could use our phone to call his partner to come pick him up.

One of them bastards shows up while I'm here, he'll be looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge if he tries to push his way in like he did my wife.

Anybody inviting themselves in is subject to being shot

Top Bottom