• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I am considering applying for an auto estimator position for an insurance company. Basically I would just be inspecting vehicles and writing estimates. Does anyone here have experience in the field? Any advice or things I need to know? Would you recommend getting into this field? I have insurance experience but on the claims side.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Grew up in a body shop. It's not like it used to be. Most of the insurance estimation work now is all cook book software. You answer a few basic questions and the software does the estimate for you. They'll likely train you on how to work the software. Some insurance companies even give out estimates from photos downloaded to their website; estimator doesn't even leave his desk.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would recommend taking a basic auto body class. Will help you understand how they are built and how they need to be fixed. Will help a lot when you are talking to the technicians.

I think it's a good field right now, with all the distractions behind the wheel, good drivers seem to be hard to find anymore...

I've grown up in a body shop and work in one right now, I am not doing insurance work however.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Grew up in a body shop. It's not like it used to be. Most of the insurance estimation work now is all cook book software. You answer a few basic questions and the software does the estimate for you. They'll likely train you on how to work the software. Some insurance companies even give out estimates from photos downloaded to their website; estimator doesn't even leave his desk.

The position I'm looking at is mobile. They get a batch of assignments and basically make their own schedule, traveling within a certain mileage area to complete estimates.

And I'm somewhat familiar with the method. I think they pretty much plug in what is damaged and the program completes everything else. Seems pretty straightforward

I think it's a good field right now, with all the distractions behind the wheel, good drivers seem to be hard to find anymore....

Oh yea. Insurance is about as secure as a job as there is. That is, until all cars are self-driven and programmed to avoid wrecks

Top Bottom