• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have an 05 Silverado crew cab with factory Bose premium and OnStar. I installed a new head unit but forgot to turn down the chimes on the adapter box so the speakers are now blown and in need of replacement. The factory speakers are 2 ohm but the only replacements I can afford are 4 ohm. Will installing these hurt anything. I realize that the volume will not go as loud but would they still sound good? Is there a cheap way to replace the factory amp if that won't work?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I have an 05 Silverado crew cab with factory Bose premium and OnStar. I installed a new head unit but forgot to turn down the chimes on the adapter box so the speakers are now blown and in need of replacement. The factory speakers are 2 ohm but the only replacements I can afford are 4 ohm. Will installing these hurt anything. I realize that the volume will not go as loud but would they still sound good? Is there a cheap way to replace the factory amp if that won't work?

The difference between the 2 ohm and 4 ohm is impedance. A 2 ohm speaker will only reduce the signal by a 2 ohm load. What are the watt ratings for the speakers and amp? That will be the most important part, and are they run in series or parallel?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    You can also bypass the truck amplifier and run speaker wire straight from the radio to the speakers (if you feel up to it) and not worry about it...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well it's factory Bose so I don't know the ratings on the amp,I've just read that the speakers are 2 ohm. I don't think that the guys who found bin Laden could get the specs for this thing. Not really up to running new wires either.
    Since the factory speakers are 2ohm, if you had the room, in the future, you could run 2-4ohm speakers in parallel on each channel.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thinking back,I doubt this will be an issue for me. The factory ones had the potential to go way louder than I ever had the desire to. I'm sure that these will go "loud enough" but not "as loud as possible" which is fine because I know that nobody will be blowing the new ones.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Reviving this thread for another, related question. The new speakers went in and sound fine except for the previously mentioned volume issue. Can this be solved by finding the output plug on the factory amp, cutting the wires there, and wiring them to the appropriate wires in the rear of the radio?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Don't cut the wires on the factory amp... Just run new from the radio to the speakers. Save the OEM wiring for the next time something goes sideways...

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm wanting to cut the wires for two reasons;
    1) It should be the same effect as running new wires. It skips the trouble and slew of profanity that accompanies taking the doors and dash apart by just unscrewing one compartment and pulling two others from their clipped-in positions.

2) No amp bypass found for my truck.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom