• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Wife has a old, large concrete Birdbath. The bottom of the bowl is showing spalling & pitting, anyway that you can DIY seal it up to prevent further damage?

I know we could replace it, but this one has some sentimental attachments to the Mrs.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    A concrete repair mortar would work just fine. I'm sure Quickrete makes a product, but I'm not familiar with any of theirs. We usually recommend Sika brand stuff, but I don't know if you can get that just anywhere.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    A concrete repair mortar would work just fine. I'm sure Quickrete makes a product, but I'm not familiar with any of theirs. We usually recommend Sika brand stuff, but I don't know if you can get that just anywhere.

Would a standard repair mortar hold up if the surface is constantly underwater??? That is what has stopped me from buying some already.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Get something latex modified if possible. That is heavy duty stuff and should do fine underwater.

(novice chiming in) would adding a layer of concrete sealant over the entire thing help longevity since this has some value to them?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Wife has a old, large concrete Birdbath. The bottom of the bowl is showing spalling & pitting, anyway that you can DIY seal it up to prevent further damage?

I know we could replace it, but this one has some sentimental attachments to the Mrs.

Do you use any chemicals to keep algae out, like bleach? Those are murder on concrete.

Also, do you dry it out and store it in a building during the winter? Freezing is also murder on (wet) concrete.

Top Bottom