• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I put a batch of 9mm brass in my rock tumbler yesterday along with a bunch of crushed walnut shells, then forgot about it until today. I normally don't tumble that long, with 4 to 6 hours the norm. This was in there almost 24 hours. The 9mm brass is incredibly clean now and I'm thinking I might start letting stuff tumble longer than in the past.

The question is: Is this bad for the brass at all, or am I just using up the tumbling media quicker than need be if I over tumble?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I put a batch of 9mm brass in my rock tumbler yesterday along with a bunch of crushed walnut shells, then forgot about it until today. I normally don't tumble that long, with 4 to 6 hours the norm. This was in there almost 24 hours. The 9mm brass is incredibly clean now and I'm thinking I might start letting stuff tumble longer than in the past.

The question is: Is this bad for the brass at all, or am I just using up the tumbling media quicker than need be if I over tumble?

Not an expert, but the only thing that could come from this is that it's easier to find your shiny shiny brass!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    The answer would change if you ever use your rock tumbler to polish brass using the wet stainless steel method that is very popular right now. I use that method. The key to it is the dish soap holds the dirt and carbon in suspension and you rinse the dirty water out. If you tumble too long the soap breaks down fully and all the carbon/dirt will re-deposit on the brass. You go to take out your brass and find it all dark grey! It can be fixed by re-tumbling with clean water and new soap + lemishine, but it can be a bit surprising.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Wear and tear on tumbler, higher electric bill, use more media. Those are all I can think of.

I put a timer on my tumbler so that I don't have to remember it as I'll often forget since it's in the garage and relatively quiet.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't bother cleaning pistol brass. The little bit of smoke on the case isn't a factor in the resizing die. If they have mud or dirt in them, they get washed in the sink.

IMO, all the emphasis I see on shiny brass is misplaced. I want my brass to get a real tight grip on the chamber walls. I just finshed loading 5,000 9mm rounds with various lead and jacketed bullets. They might sit in the can for 5 or 10 years. They are clean but not especially shiny except for the burnishing the resizing die put on them.

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, it is more a response to yeah.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I like my brass to look like jewelery. Not sure why, and I realize with pistol brass it doesn't really matter...but its fun to see it fall out of the stainless steel media and look like gold. That "fun" may fade as I reload more, but it's still a novelty for me since I haven't been reloading a long time.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I like my brass to look like jewelery. Not sure why, and I realize with pistol brass it doesn't really matter...but its fun to see it fall out of the stainless steel media and look like gold. That "fun" may fade as I reload more, but it's still a novelty for me since I haven't been reloading a long time.

I've been reloading for awhile, and I still LOVE spotless super-shiny brass.

I recently picked up some cheapo walnut shell media at the pet store, and am disappointed that it doesn't shine up the brass as well as corn cob. I need to find a local source for 20/40 grit corn cob. :cool:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One of my old shooting buddies stopped using walnut media, claimed it left a residue
    on his rifle brass... might be worse after long hours in the polisher.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I don't think it would hurt them. I run mine in a Dillon unit for about 60 to 90 min. they then go into a clean 1 gallon ice cream tub until i need them. (maybe thats why my clothes seem to be getting tighter...needing more ice cream tubs!) Depending on calibur that could be just weeks or a few years for the odd stuff.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    I've been reloading for awhile, and I still LOVE spotless super-shiny brass.

I recently picked up some cheapo walnut shell media at the pet store, and am disappointed that it doesn't shine up the brass as well as corn cob. I need to find a local source for 20/40 grit corn cob. :cool:

40lbs blast media delivered(drop shipped by Grainger) to your door for about $26.

In general, Walnut is better at removing stains, burnt powder etc. and Corn Cob is better at polishing and removing lube.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    40lbs blast media delivered(drop shipped by Grainger) to your door for about $26.

In general, Walnut is better at removing stains, burnt powder etc. and Corn Cob is better at polishing and removing lube.

Nice!

If only I had some place to store 40 lbs of media!

Anyone want to go halfsies?

I have noticed the walnut gets the brass basically clean quite a bit quicker than the corn cob did. But I don't mind letting it run awhile to get a higher level of polish.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have to admit, when I opened the tumbler up, I was amazed at how shiny they were. Sure, shiny does not add function, but I do enjoy putting that extra bit of effort into reloading. Some of the cases are pretty dirty when fired and it's easier to inspect clean cases than the dirty ones. That's about as much as I can rationalize my need to clean brass, other than to say that clean brass just makes me feel better.

I'll have to do a search on the stainless method of cleaning. I had not read anything about that.

Top Bottom