• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    What is the deal with joining the guard and keeping your current job? Is this a thing? I'm prior USAF and have been kicking around the idea of joining, but I would not be able to afford to lose my current position. Are there guarantees written in law or is it company policy that dictates this? Thanks

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What is the deal with joining the guard and keeping your current job? Is this a thing? I'm prior USAF and have been kicking around the idea of joining, but I would not be able to afford to lose my current position. Are there guarantees written in law or is it company policy that dictates this? Thanks

Yes, technically there are guarantees written in law, doesn't mean they still couldn't try to be shady though.

https://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It's a law. You can't lost your job, but you may have to make a lateral shift in position, especially if you're deployed for >6 months.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Friend of mine was in the Army Reserve and was put on active duty for 3 years, mostly at Atterbury training others for deployment, but with some time in Afghanistan (that was some global war on terror, doncha know). He went right back to work when he got off of active duty. I don't know if it helped smooth his situation, but he is a metallurgical engineer at a steel mill and was an O-4 in the Reserve (now, retired from the USAR after over 24 years).

Like I said, I was a college student, then a car salesman when I was in the MING and had no issues. But, back then (early '90s) we didn't get activated like units today do.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Your job is legally protected "technically". Meaning they can't fire you for service, but they can for any other reason they'd like. Does t happen much, but I have seen it happen. Usually the employer is browbeat, and threatened legally and they eventually cave.

Top Bottom