Any INGO members also run ultramarathons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    Just curious if there are any ultramarathoners on here. If so, what race(s) do you have planned this year?

I am running the I.M.T.U.F. 100 miler in Idaho come September.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    100 miles??? Son of a gun! Much respect! I am not a runner by any means, I have more of a body builder frame, I can run a lot farther after losing a whole bunch of weight but I’m tired just thinking about an ultra marathon!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Jeez man, good luck. Humans aren't built to do that sort of thing.

We just got a peloton tread and I'm trying to get back into running. I am covering 3.05 miles in 45 mins. Would take me quite a while to knock out 100 :):

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Much respect. I think I could do 100 ft right now in my current shape.
    Jeez man, good luck. Humans aren't built to do that sort of thing.

We just got a peloton tread and I'm trying to get back into running. I am covering 3.05 miles in 45 mins. Would take me quite a while to knock out 100 :):
    You might be surprised. It's just that the vast majority of humans are no longer conditioned to it. Have you ever seen a video of hunters running down a gazelle or antelope?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just curious if there are any ultramarathoners on here. If so, what race(s) do you have planned this year?

I am running the I.M.T.U.F. 100 miler in Idaho come September.
    I went through a stage 2 years ago where I dropped a ton of weight and ran all the time. Did some shorter races and intended on doing an ultra but life got in the way. Takes a huge time commitment to train for running distance. I went back to training weights and putting muscle back on bc it only takes 3-5 hours a week instead of the 7-10 I was spending running.

How are you going to prepare for the elevation living in indiana? When I was distance running doing 10-20 milers here in Indy I went to Colorado for an elk hunt and I couldn’t get enough oxygen.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a buddy from college that has ran at least two 100 milers. One was around Asheville, NC and the other was in Colorado. I told him that as soon as they have an internal combustion division, I'll make plans to join him.

only running I do is to the bathroom
    Well, there's the combustion division, gut hopefully not internal...

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    I went through a stage 2 years ago where I dropped a ton of weight and ran all the time. Did some shorter races and intended on doing an ultra but life got in the way. Takes a huge time commitment to train for running distance. I went back to training weights and putting muscle back on bc it only takes 3-5 hours a week instead of the 7-10 I was spending running.

How are you going to prepare for the elevation living in indiana? When I was distance running doing 10-20 milers here in Indy I went to Colorado for an elk hunt and I couldn’t get enough oxygen.
    This will be my 9th 100 miler. My last two were in Utah/Idaho (The Bear) and had an elevation gain of 22,000 ft. (cumulative). The race course altitude averaged about 8,000 ft. and got has high as 9,000 ft, There is not a good way to prepare for the altitude. The 2020 race was really hard for me and I had a very difficult time climbing. I got into Utah on Thursday noon and raced on Friday morning. It took me 33:24. In 2021, I went out 6 days early and slept in Park City at 7,000 ft. It still was not an easy race, but I finished in 29:02.

I have a 100 ft. road hill that is about 11% grade by my house that I do repeats on and I run trails that are "hilly" for northern Indiana. That helps prepare the legs, but when you are climbing continuous for 3,000 ft, you tend to laugh at the training you did on that 100 ft. hill.

You are correct about the time it takes to train for long distance trail races. My races are now all about the destination and they will be out west in the mountains. Most are point-to-point races. You get to see places and views that tourists never see. I am sure it is the same for hunters that pursue their game in the mountains.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You are a special breed of crazy, or something, but I highly respect what you're doing. I am just trying to run the Mini after it being cancelled for two years. I want to get one of those shirts at the expo that says on the back "If you're reading this, you didn't train either." There's a very real possibility this will not be a fast undertaking.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I find it fascinating that people are able to do these distances. I have not but understand the desire and endorphin high feeling of endurance events from experience in triathlons and trail races in my 30s. From what I learned, individuals best results may peak in their early 40s, which is unlike most sports.

I corresponded with the son of a former coworker who did the Arkansas 100. He said he was terrible at typical 5k/10k type races but found he could run slower and long distances better than others. I learned from him that you're weighed every 20 mi or so for safety concerns and he subsided on eating vegetable soup and Coke during these long races, as that's what he stomached best. He mentioned the sub 24 hours belt buckle and believe he got 6th in that race.

Anyway when we were Jeeping in 2019, we came across a 100 mile race in the Ouray, CO area, on Imogene pass (13,114 ft) which connects Ouray to Telluride. I'll attach a couple pictures to show what it looked like on July 26th of that year, as there was a lot of precipitation and the route up had just been cleared of snow, but not the trek down to Telluride.

Didn't know if you were aware or had done that race, but you mentioned elevation changes. Some people looked like they were doing pretty good and others looked like they needed to jump in the Jeep. Regardless, that's a great hobby and once in a lifetime opportunities you'll never forget, which I look back and understand and appreciate greatly. Quite inspiring and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup::rockwoot:

MVIMG_20190726_161303.jpg
    MVIMG_20190726_161259.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    With my own personal hardware store, Steel rod, plates, screws and wire in one hip WCD does not run anywhere. With that being said I work out on the rowing machine, Nordic Track, and walk all low impact.

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    I find it fascinating that people are able to do these distances. I have not but understand the desire and endorphin high feeling of endurance events from experience in triathlons and trail races in my 30s. From what I learned, individuals best results may peak in their early 40s, which is unlike most sports.

I corresponded with the son of a former coworker who did the Arkansas 100. He said he was terrible at typical 5k/10k type races but found he could run slower and long distances better than others. I learned from him that you're weighed every 20 mi or so for safety concerns and he subsided on eating vegetable soup and Coke during these long races, as that's what he stomached best. He mentioned the sub 24 hours belt buckle and believe he got 6th in that race.

Anyway when we were Jeeping in 2019, we came across a 100 mile race in the Ouray, CO area, on Imogene pass (13,114 ft) which connects Ouray to Telluride. I'll attach a couple pictures to show what it looked like on July 26th of that year, as there was a lot of precipitation and the route up had just been cleared of snow, but not the trek down to Telluride.

Didn't know if you were aware or had done that race, but you mentioned elevation changes. Some people looked like they were doing pretty good and others looked like they needed to jump in the Jeep. Regardless, that's a great hobby and once in a lifetime opportunities you'll never forget, which I look back and understand and appreciate greatly. Quite inspiring and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup::rockwoot:

View attachment 198063
    View attachment 198062
    That would be Ouray 100 Mile Endurance Race. I have not run any races in Colorado and that one is one of the tougher ones in the country with a total elevation gain of 41k feet and climbs as high as 13k+. That one is a special kind of hard. :)

dobe77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Northeast IN
    You are a special breed of crazy, or something, but I highly respect what you're doing. I am just trying to run the Mini after it being cancelled for two years. I want to get one of those shirts at the expo that says on the back "If you're reading this, you didn't train either." There's a very real possibility this will not be a fast undertaking.
    We all have our vices.

I applaud you for running the Mini! That is no easy task! If you put an effort into the training, you will surprise yourself.

Once someone knows that I run long foot races, the conversation usually starts like this: "I only run 5ks" or "I only walk 1 mile". I tell them to never start the sentence with "I only....", you do you and I'll do me. Don't be ashamed of any physical fitness endeavor.

Top Bottom