• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Got a few questions and have a hard time finding some RKIs... How do you look them up??? Everyone I talk to says Get on the net and just look em up.... Ah yea... What is the best way to search?? Most if you type in a symbol will give you the fund. Or others just give top 20.

I can get them through the credit union, but was told they have a limited selection. Is Scottrade account a good place to keep them vs a CU?? (place to have the account??)

Anyone want to take the time and teach me a couple things???

Thanks

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Don't know what and RKI is, but I've dealt with Vanguard for 19 years and am very happy with them. Check out their website, it has a ton of info on it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Here is a post I made a while back.....https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/367783-mutual-fund-investment-advice.html

I have Scottrade and TD Ameritrade and have just recently started messing with MF's. You can go to mutual fund sites that list the best funds. Here is an example Best Large Growth Mutual Funds | US News Best Funds

Scottrade also has an office in Greenwood......the guy who runs it is very helpful. He was the one who guided me to ETF's........which was a little more my style since I like to be able to buy and sell when I like to and not when I can.

If you like stocks..keep an eye on REXX :)

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have Scottrade and TD Ameritrade and have just recently started messing with MF's. You can go to mutual fund sites that list the best funds. Here is an example Best Large Growth Mutual Funds | US News Best Funds

Scottrade also has an office in Greenwood......the guy who runs it is very helpful. He was the one who guided me to ETF's........which was a little more my style since I like to be able to buy and sell when I like to and not when I can.

There are several good investment companies depending on your needs. Scottrade is a low-cost firm that does not offer investment advice. They are a good option if you do your own research. I've used them for years and have been very happy with their service. I second the idea of looking at ETFs. Lower fees than mutual funds and you can buy/sell and check value at any time of day unlike MFs which are more restrictive.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A friendly warning about doing your own trading (language warning):

[video=youtube_share;AYrpROr9Gmk]http://youtu.be/AYrpROr9Gmk[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, are these in a SIMPLE, SEP or 401k, etc.? This is mad money that you have?

I have 4 in American Funds, one in Vanguard and one in T. Rowe Price, all but one are SEP.

When you say "look up" do you mean how to read them? What to look for? What exactly?

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    So, are these in a SIMPLE, SEP or 401k, etc.? This is mad money that you have?

I have 4 in American Funds, one in Vanguard and one in T. Rowe Price, all but one are SEP.

When you say "look up" do you mean how to read them? What to look for? What exactly?

Well for now I could say it is mad money... I have some bills to knock out now, so thinking about going for a Roth in the beginning of next year.

As far as "look up" I am new to this... Hard to find the words. Where would you find a list of all the mutual funds and a break down of their returns, how long they have been around, are they listed as growth, aggressive growth, high risk, whether they are load funds, etc.. All I keep finding are the top 10 lists.

To give an example I am on scottrade. I try to search for Vanguard funds and it comes up with 3 or 4... I know there are a lot more... Or are there??? Are these just the ones that they sell??? Or am I searching incorrectly?? If I get a symbol I can do a lot of research on it. Just can't find where to start.

Thanks for any help.

Finding, buying, and selling funds to me are like tossing me the keys to the space shuttle and telling me to take it for a spin.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Brian... see if there is a Better Investing chapter close to where you live. I just got back from our local club tonight. We had a financial adviser from Hillard Lyons as a guest speaker tonight.

The meeting's are free to all, and you don't have to be a member to go. They are for people to learn about the stock market and what to look for.

BetterInvesting - Non-profit Investment Education

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Vanguard is great. I read a book years ago by John Bogle (Vanguard founder). You can't control investment results - no one stays on top forever. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. You can't control taxes for the most part. But the one thing you can control is expenses. All other things being equal, pick the fund with the lowest expense ratio. That's why Vanguard is as popular as they are.

Top Bottom