• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Looking at purchasing a Lamat reproduction revolver in the not so distant future, and was looking to see if anyone else out there has had one and may like to share their observations on the gun..

Thanks

Mike

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I owned a Navy Model Le Mat replica for several years. Made by Pietta and purchased from Navy Arms, in terms of the quality of fit and finish it was probably the best-made replica revolver I've ever owned.

These are definitely not "belt holster" guns. As with earlier "Walker" and "Dragoon" revolvers they were originally intended for use by cavalry troopers in place of a single-shot muzzle loading carbine. They were usually carried in pairs in holsters designed to fit over the pommel of a saddle. It's interesting, IMO, to remember that at the time the saber was still considered to be the cavalryman's primary weapon.

With nine .45 cal. (most originals were .42 cal., IIRC) and a nominal .68 cal. smoothbore barrel loaded with "buck and ball" each, one can see where a pair of these would've made for a pretty awesome shock-and-awe tactical weapon in the sort of hit-and-run, close quarters engagements that many cavalry units specialized in during The War Between the States.

The sighting arrangement on the Le Mat is typically crude: a "V" notch in the hammer nose and a rather narrow blade set in a dovetail on the barrel. Mine shot about 4" high at 25 yds. with swaged round balls over 25 gr. (volume equivalent) of Pyrodex P. The groups were pretty well centered though and typically ran around 4 -4 1/2". Patterns from the smoothbore barrel with either six 00 buckshot or buck-and-ball and the same charge of Pyrodex would've been devastating out to about 10 yds, but not likely very effective much farther out, IMO.

Recoil was very mild with the RB "pistol" loads and quite tolerable with the smoothbore. The loading lever isn't very sturdy compared with those on the 1860 Colt or Remingtons, and you'll likely have to either improvise or make your own overpowder, cushion and overshot wads for the smoothbore as 12 ga. are too large and 20 ga. just a tad too small. At least they were on my specimen.

Overall, I found the Le Mat replica to be a very unique, interesting and entertaining piece of American military history to play with. If someone hadn't waved considerably more pretty green paper at me than I gave for it, I'd still have it.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Hey thanks.. Now the middle 20 ga barrel I would have never thunked to put 6 oo buckshot in it, but thats reason to pick up the gun

Thanks again for your insights

Top Bottom