Any SmartThings home automation users out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After trying something that seemed straightforward with a lamp timer, I gave up after a toddler pushed the wrong button.

Our church has a slight humidity problem. And I got tired of forgetting to turn off the sanctuary dehumidifier before the service. (and then remembering to turn it back on afterward)

So I found a lamp timer and set it to turn on at noon on Sunday, then trigger off again at 10am on Sunday. It ran for several months just fine until a kid pushed buttons. Now, even after a factory reset and a months worth of starting it at various times, I cant get it to go back to the way it was. So maybe I need a smart home app to do it? But I really dont want to rely on alexa or google home.

Looks like I found that Samsung's SmartThings should do what I want (I think)

Anyone use it that can offer insight?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    After trying something that seemed straightforward with a lamp timer, I gave up after a toddler pushed the wrong button.

Our church has a slight humidity problem. And I got tired of forgetting to turn off the sanctuary dehumidifier before the service. (and then remembering to turn it back on afterward)

So I found a lamp timer and set it to turn on at noon on Sunday, then trigger off again at 10am on Sunday. It ran for several months just fine until a kid pushed buttons. Now, even after a factory reset and a months worth of starting it at various times, I cant get it to go back to the way it was. So maybe I need a smart home app to do it? But I really dont want to rely on alexa or google home.

It's the sound guys job to turn them off.
    It's not the sound guys job to turn them back on.

The timer idea is a really good one. If it were me, I'd buy the dumbest timer possible and put it in a box. Or wrap it in wire hooked to an electric fence charger.

I'll mention this the next time I the sound guy forgets.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's the sound guys job to turn them off.
    It's not the sound guys job to turn them back on.

The timer idea is a really good one. If it were me, I'd buy the dumbest timer possible and put it in a box. Or wrap it in wire hooked to an electric fence charger.

I'll mention this the next time I the sound guy forgets.
    Already tried that. It worked. Until it didnt. ( I think I just got lucky)

Now I think I need to go smart automation since the "turn on, run for 167 hours, then turn off, and repeat" is literally the polar opposite of how these things are designed to run. They are expected to turn on for a short time then turn off and repeat daily. Not the opposite which is what I want.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    would Power Off 10:00 am to 12:00 Everyday be 90% better than Forgetting to do it manually ?
    Yes. But this timer doesn’t seem to understand that logic anymore. It only seems to understand on at 10 and off at 12. It seems to get confused by the day roll over.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Why is Samsung better than the other two?

I've never used it, but I've read about people using this

Assuming you have wireless service at the church, I'd suggest getting a smart plug.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I have several Kasa smart plugs ( HS103 10 amp or HS105 15 amp loads ) that have Weekly Schedule option

I use them for On-Demand Power Cycle of Security Cams - so not big on Scheduling - but this could work

IMG_5487.jpeg

IMG_5484.jpeg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you don't want to go Alexa or Google, does the church have a modern alarm system? Many have the ability to tie in zwave and other products and control them on a schedule.

I use a combo of Alexa (nice voice control) and the alarm system (nice scheduling, and can serve as the hub for zwave) depending on the need and it works very well. Alexa ties into the alarm system via a skill but independent of that can "see" the zwave devices presented via the alarm panels hub.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That said, there are smart plugs out there that use their own app I believe independent of a smart assistant if you just are looking for a one off and not a system.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I've been in home automation for a while. I started with SmartThings but moved to Hubitat a couple years later (I'm now using Home Assistant). I'd avoid SmartThings because Samsung frequently updates, and breaks, SmartThings. Hubitat is all local control. It doesn't rely on the cloud.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I use an app called SmartLife to control a number of cheap Amazon smart plugs, switches, and light bulbs. All different brands.

It's easy to set up schedules with time, or things like sunrise/sunset.

I mean, I'm a 100% sure it's hacking all my data and selling it to China or somewhere, but it works like a champ. ;)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I use it for a few things. There are many inexpensive sensors and devices that are SmartThings compatible and easy to set up. The app is a little flakey to set up the first time, but no issues after that.

Top Bottom