Any southsiders (indy) had ADT sales people at your home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    I've had a sales guy come to my home 2x this week, I'm slightly intrested, but wonder what others think about this? I mean yes I have several handguns in my home, but there are some benefits like the fire alarm direct connect etc.

Discuss....:dunno:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I live on north side, and I had my security system answer the door with me, the dogs and the gun on my side. He told me I still needed it. I said "no thanks"

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    We occasionally have sales people at the door, I dismiss them all. I used to do that sort of work and I know without doubt that anytime you buy anything in your home from a salesperson you are paying too much.

If you want a security system find a reputable supplier and contact them on your terms. Commissioned sales persons doing door to door earn from 20 to 50% sometimes more. Do you want to pay that much more than the product is worth?

If you talk to a salesperson in your home don't buy anything at that visit. Get his best offer and tell him you will call back after you have a chance to study the offer and compare. Oh and it won't go away if you don't take it tonight, it may in fact get sweeter.

Just my thoughts.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I had ADT through Defender Industries in Indy. I got it after my house was completely turned by a drug addict who came through the back security door. It was a nightmare with everything from billing to the equipment installed. I was stuck with it for three years. After I moved from Lawrence to southwest of Mooresville, no one was able to get my address corrected. If I had an emergency, everything would be been directed to respond to my Lawrence address. You have to read the contract very closely as when I moved to Mooresville, the clock on my contract was started over. I would not recommend them to anyone, ever.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I accidentally cut the power to my alarm when I was running some cable in the attic. I didn't find out until two weeks later, well after the emergency battery finally quit. They called me to ask me if something was wrong with my alarm. I canceled the service that afternoon. Worthless.

WhoDaThunk?RN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Franklin township
    I had reserved a time slot for installation on saturday, but after going over their info they left I think i'm going to cancel it. I want to research more before I make that kind of commitment, not to mention I on purpose didn't answer my phone yesterday when they tried to call since I had been up working till almost 130am...they showed up at my house after 730pm...as we were trying to get my toddler down for bed, i was not happy!! I didn't particularly care for his sales tactics either..yes it's all free...unless you see the fine print that I didn't mention which is the $100 installation fee...:rolleyes:
    :noway:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I recenlty prices three different systems. ADT, Brinks (Honeywell) and Koorsen.

Price and service won out and so I am going with Koorsen. The install was a little less than the others, the monthly fee is less, and I liked the sales guy.

If you want his contact info PM me.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Had one of them come through my neighborhood one day. He wasnt very successful. I have a brother that does that kind of work, so hes already offered to set me up when I decide to take that plunge. But I also live in a neighborhood full of retired people, we are all friends, and we all watch each others properties (oh yeah and were all armed).

On the topic of in home sales people.. They are obnoxious! Ive just started opening the door, ask them what they want, then tell them to go away. They are the only ones that knock anyways, my friends and family call in advance, then just come in.

-MColford

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    we have guardian here at our house, seems like a good outfit. I will say last year at one of the 1500's Smith And Wesson home security had a booth set up and the guy said he could do the service for about $15 less per month,but i haven't seen them at a show since then.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Just as an option, for those of you who have a broadband connection, there are many good devices that you can buy and monitor yourself and avoid both the monthly fee and the 'concerns' that come with the access that you give someone when you contract them for this type of gig. I no longer use 'monitored' services and have replaced them with various devices that send alerts to ME. You can get color/bw/IR cameras with configurable motion detection and even time params, you can get door and window sensors, glass breakage monitors, temperature monitors, water sensors for your basement or near your water heater or the like... pretty much name it, and you can find it. There was a recent thread about home defense at night, and how to be alerted without alerting the intruder -- my devices will send the alerts to my cell phone, which is next to my bed. You can also get audible alarms, devices that will turn on lights or the TV or a loud radio, whatever you like.

Not right for everyone, but an option for some.

michael b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Fishers
    I too just had an ADT Indianapolis salesman stop by my place on the north side near Fishers. I am thinking of getting a system anyways. Does anyone know if their monitoring includes police, fire, and ems? Or do they charge for each service?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How much are we talking about here... Ballpark figures

Just as an option, for those of you who have a broadband connection, there are many good devices that you can buy and monitor yourself and avoid both the monthly fee and the 'concerns' that come with the access that you give someone when you contract them for this type of gig. I no longer use 'monitored' services and have replaced them with various devices that send alerts to ME. You can get color/bw/IR cameras with configurable motion detection and even time params, you can get door and window sensors, glass breakage monitors, temperature monitors, water sensors for your basement or near your water heater or the like... pretty much name it, and you can find it. There was a recent thread about home defense at night, and how to be alerted without alerting the intruder -- my devices will send the alerts to my cell phone, which is next to my bed. You can also get audible alarms, devices that will turn on lights or the TV or a loud radio, whatever you like.

Not right for everyone, but an option for some.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Individual cameras and devices, you could add whatever parts you need from about the $100 range to as much as you care to spend. I'm currently running:

4 daytime color cameras
    6 ir cameras (also do color with enough light)
    2 temp sensors
    4 water sensors

All of the cameras are motion sensitive with configurable zones, which allows me to ignore some spots, have normal sensitivity in others, and extra in others. They can record to a local hard drive or email photos or videos to me, which come to my phone and get a special announcement that will get my attention. The water and temp sensors just send me alerts. I also used to run remote control switches that allowed me to turn things on and off on a schedule or remotely through a browser, but don't use those right now. For what I have listed above, I'd guess I'm into it... Oh, maybe $2000, but bought pretty good cameras - you could do it cheaper. You could probably get a basic setup for most residential homes for maybe $500-$750, depending on how much area you needed to cover.

I get occasional videos of deer and raccoons, but I never have false alarm calls to the sheriff. Where I live, adt's false alarm calls can cost you a bunch in a hurry...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Oh, it's also great for knowing when the ups guy comes, when the kids get home from school, even the weather -- lightning and heavy wind will register on one of my cameras as it's currently set. If FEDEX delivers a new toy, I get a video of them pulling in, taking it to my door, leaving, all timestamped. If my wife's boyfriend drops by, I can see if he brought me beer.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just a heads up...apparently there are some "scam" door to door sales going down right now. We got a letter from our security company last week (we have service through a local company) mentioning to be head up about folks coming door to door selling security systems.

In short, you get to sign up for really over priced service (that you never get) plus give folks a lot of personal info about yourself, including a tour of your house for them to do a "security assessment."

Not saying the ADT guys aren't legit, just saying you might want to check them out properly by calling the ADT home office (or appropriate company office) and see if all is on the up and up.

Here in Indiana I'd highly recomment Myers security system, as they did our new home and have excellent customer service, good pricing for coverage, and are local (out of Columbus IN).

Top Bottom