Any statutory limits on quantity of handgun ammo purchased at one time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I was talking with a friend yesterday and he said he got the last dozen boxes of 50-count 9mm FMJ at Walmart, and another friend chimed in that he thought he'd heard there was a limit on how much handgun ammo could be legally purchased at any one time. I said I'd never heard of that, especially since the only time I've ever been asked for ID is when I've bought at stores near the Illinois border and the clerk has to make sure I have a special permit to buy ammo if I'm from Illinois (which I'm not--Hoosier born and bred), so nobody would know who I am to know how much ammo I'm purchasing. Anyone ever hear anything like this?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You don't fill out the additional form, the FFL does. More than 1 pistol per week and this is required. I believe the intent is to locate large volume straw-man purchasers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You don't fill out the additional form, the FFL does. More than 1 pistol per week and this is required. I believe the intent is to locate large volume straw-man purchasers.

I thought it was more than 2 per week from the same dealer that the dealer had to report it. But that up to 2 was no problem. Still, its never been an issue. It doesn't hold up your next purchase or cause any grief.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

I thought it was more than 2 per week from the same dealer that the dealer had to report it. But that up to 2 was no problem. Still, its never been an issue. It doesn't hold up your next purchase or cause any grief.

Here is the answer from the ATF website's FAQ

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]
    If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.
    A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What if you do multiples on the same day as part of the same transaction?

Does the dealer have to fill out the form for that, or, because up to 3 (at least on the old form) transfers could be done at one time, would that qualify the dealer for reporting it?

Back before I had the tragic boating accident on Lake Michigan and actually lost all my guns I used to do multiple transfers on a fairly regular basis. Never had any problems with multiple purchases, even if I did multiple purchases and came back in the same week and did more.

No black helicopters over my house. . . at least not that I know of.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

If you use the same dealer he will be required to report any other purchase of a handgun after your first on ATF Form 3310.4

Does the dealer have to fill out the form for that, or, because up to 3 (at least on the old form) transfers could be done at one time, would that qualify the dealer for reporting it?

The dealer fills out the ATF Form 3310.4. It did not matter if was the old form or not, a FFL has been required since 1993 (from what I can find) to fill out the additional form for more then one purchase of a handgun.

As for transfers the law quoted below states sales or other dispostions IMO mean transfers.

18USC923(3)(A) Each licensee shall prepare a report of multiple sales or
    other dispositions whenever the licensee sells or otherwise disposes of,
    at one time or during any five consecutive business days, two or more
    pistols, or revolvers, or any combination of pistols and revolvers
    totalling two or more, to an unlicensed person. The report shall be
    prepared on a form specified by the Attorney General and forwarded to
    the office specified thereon and to the department of State police or
    State law enforcement agency of the State or local law enforcement
    agency of the local jurisdiction in which the sale or other disposition
    took place, not later than the close of business on the day that the
    multiple sale or other disposition occurs.
    Back before I had the tragic boating accident on Lake Michigan and actually lost all my guns I used to do multiple transfers on a fairly regular basis. Never had any problems with multiple purchases, even if I did multiple purchases and came back in the same week and did more.

No black helicopters over my house. . . at least not that I know of.

Answers are in your quote. HTH

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I had the tragic boating accident on Lake Michigan and actually lost all my guns

I'd like to know what you're talking about, if you don't mind.

I'm guessing its one of those stories everyone else on the board knows, but....well, it was isn't in the FAQS. :)

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana

Back before I had the tragic boating accident on Lake Michigan and actually lost all my guns...

I remember that accident. you borrowed both of mine and said you would take GOOD care of them.....that was the last I ever saw of them......

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy

I'm guessing its one of those stories everyone else on the board knows, but....well, it was isn't in the FAQS. :)

Didn't you know, everyone here has lost all their firearms in tragic boating accidents. No one here owns firearms any more. ;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Yes, I started the "tragic boating accident" quite a while ago when there were rumors that the Democrats were going to pass all sorts of gun control measures.
    Guns? What guns? I lost all those in a tragic boating accident in the middle of Lake Michigan! I don't have any guns!!!
    I've actually seen my post copied onto several gun websites and the story seemed to have taken on a life of its own over the past year.

And yes, I did borrow both of Greg's guns too. Sorry Ghost, yours were also lost. Maybe I can buy you a cigar on Wednesday?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Huh....maybe it should be in the FAQ then.

Thanks though....not as interesting as I'd hoped (the correct answer would have been armed assault on Canadian shores) but clever all the same. :)

Top Bottom