• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I am thinking of purchasing a Steyr m9 a1. Just wondered if anyone out there had any negatives on the subject (functionality, longevity, carry comfort)?

Or would glock be a better fit, they seem very similar.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know much about the steyr but you cannot go wrong with a glock, they are used by law enforcement for a reason. Also there are tons and tons of accessories for glocks

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'd recommend checking out the styre forums. There are some issues with the guns, but their CS is highly praised as some of the best. Unfortunately, their forums are filled with page after page of issues. There's three parts people buy with the gun and swap them immidietly, though it only recall a lug and the spring.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've owned two different M9-A1 pistols...

They functioned just fine for what they were. Great ergonomics. Beefy internals. Funky sights that take a little bit to get used to.

As alluded to, one of the main changes that people make on them is the extractor. I don't remember being able to tell the difference between the old extractor on my 2nd Steyr and the upgraded replacement...but I got it and installed it anyhow. I can't remember off the top of my head if I had any failures to extract or if it just wasn't very positive extraction that prompted my desire for the change.

Mags aren't the easiest to find. Should anything break or need replacing, it's going to be difficult to find parts in order to do it yourself. That generally means a trip to the importer for repair.

That said, their customer service was fantastic the few times I'd called them.

Holsters are also not terribly easy to find - this is all due to them having a VERY very small market share. I do know that Raven Concealment Systems makes a holster for them, as I bought one.

As far as the Steyr and the Glock being similar: There's good reason for that. The same guy designed both of them - Wilhelm Bubits. Story goes that Bubits approached G. Glock with the design for the Steyr pistol as an evolution of the Glock pistol but was turned down. He quit - went to work for Steyr - and THEY made the pistol. Bubits is now working in the UAE and has designed the Carracal pistol.

-J-

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Well this has made me rethink buying one. All the posts so far have been neutral to negative. I think I am gonna do a bit more investigation before purchasing. I dont want a gun that I can't depend on. The extraction thing is worrisome.

Thx for all the useful info.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Same reason I never bought one. I love the way the gun feels, it points easy, and looks like a funky space pistol, but the reliability wasn't there for me to buy. That being said, some guy did make a Steyr torture test vid where he runs it over with a truck, drops, kicks, buries in mud, and fires the gun. They seem rugged minus the interiors.

Top Bottom