• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have a Sharp 55" TV that is suppose to be smart......but I think it is dumb! I was painting the living room yesterday so I shut off power and unplugged it from wall. Painted, then put it back 30 minutes later and it won't work. It will turn on but just goes to Sharp * RokuTV screen. Have a blue light that flashes on input/power off button. Every few minutes the screen goes black, like it is trying to boot up........but then it goes back to SHarp screen.

Any of you guys ever worked on these things? I only paid $400-500 for it 2 years ago or so but I still hate to just throw it away. Hell, it still has shrink wrap on it.

I called Sharp and they walked me thru a reset ritual which failed, the guy told me something had failed inside and needed repaired.

I found this kit, but of course they are sold out. https://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-lc-55lbu591u-complete-tv-repair-parts-kit-version-1/ so I guess my other option is to buy the boards individually......but how do you find out which one is bad? Should I even try to fix this or just throw it away and buy a new one?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmm.

does it display any content like tv channel off antenna?

so you have anything you can place on the HDMI inputs to test them???

if the actual display is messed up (like the LCD screen is bad) just replace.

if the smart part is messed up but the HDMI and antenna works then fine get a external smart box and go on from there.

55 ‘s are pretty cheap. Add say Ten dollars and hour for your messing with it time and then any parts might as well go new.

PS I recommend LG tv’s for areas that are not in direct sunlight locations (OLED has the best blacks and best screen views are weird angles) there internal smart tv software is pretty good. Most have wired RG45 Ethernet inputs so you can smart them without pulling down WiFi for 4K streams. Non OLED tv’s are fine if you don’t need the sharpest of picture blacks and the wallet recommend a cheaper alt.

Samsung QLED for areas that are in bright light locations cause they shine brighter to overcome the light but these are best viewed from straight on angles. I don’t like the smart tv software as well in the Samsung tv’s. If not OLED or QLED I think LG is better.
    Lg 55 non OLED under 500. (Most likely get a 65 for a few dollars more.
    Lg OLED is going to be 1k ish to 3 K.

if only the smarts on the Sharp are bad then get an Apple TV box. I think the Apple TV 4K at 170 ish is the best streaming box available. Sure it is more expensive but is future proof and you can take it on vacation or outside the home also.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Hmmm.

does it display any content like tv channel off antenna?

so you have anything you can place on the HDMI inputs to test them???

if the actual display is messed up (like the LCD screen is bad) just replace.

if the smart part is messed up but the HDMI and antenna works then fine get a external smart box and go on from there.

55 ‘s are pretty cheap. Add say Ten dollars and hour for your messing with it time and then any parts might as well go new.

PS I recommend LG tv’s for areas that are not in direct sunlight locations (OLED has the best blacks and best screen views are weird angles) there internal smart tv software is pretty good. Most have wired RG45 Ethernet inputs so you can smart them without pulling down WiFi for 4K streams. Non OLED tv’s are fine if you don’t need the sharpest of picture blacks and the wallet recommend a cheaper alt.

Samsung QLED for areas that are in bright light locations cause they shine brighter to overcome the light but these are best viewed from straight on angles. I don’t like the smart tv software as well in the Samsung tv’s. If not OLED or QLED I think LG is better.
    Lg 55 non OLED under 500. (Most likely get a 65 for a few dollars more.
    Lg OLED is going to be 1k ish to 3 K.

if only the smarts on the Sharp are bad then get an Apple TV box. I think the Apple TV 4K at 170 ish is the best streaming box available. Sure it is more expensive but is future proof and you can take it on vacation or outside the home also.
    Toss it my friend. Time to step up to that 65” you have been drooling over.
    that’s how we ended up with a 75” in the progression.
    JM, I think the screen is fine, or it looks fine when it says Sharp/RokuTV........it is just like a computer don't boot up or something. I have been told it is most likely this, Sharp / Westinghouse 34.29110.052 (ST5461D07-1-C-3) T-Con Board ........but that it could also be Sharp/Hisense 1174572 Wireless/Wifi LAN Module, or Sharp 204390 Power Supply / LED Driver for LC-55LBU591U or the main board. I can buy all 4 parts for $55...if they were in stock. Individually they cost $120.

CM, I think I am gonna just replace this set.....but I would almost like to fix this 55" to hook to my computer and mount on my wall and use as a monitor, if that is possible....or maybe even use it in my garage. It sucks being totally out of touch with technology. My TV is smarter than me.

Thank you both for your thoughts.....

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Anyone remember dad's taking all the tubes out and going to the tube tester at the drug store. (Super X) Then they sold the replacement tubes under the tester.
    Childhood memories.

Not just my dad but I also got to perform the "return tv to life" ritual a few times. Made me feel "smart" for a little while.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Not sure what all you’ve tried, still at work so can’t really do much research but this may help

If not I’ll keep trying to find answers when I get home. Sorry

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    B7D45104-507A-4907-802A-A12221B0A585.png
    Another thing to try.

My tv did the same thing once. I unplugged it, waited a couple minutes, plugged it back in, and when I turned it on I held the power button down for a minute or so and it came right on. At this point, anything is worth a shot.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    I’ve “repaired” a few devices by cooking the offending circuit board. Cheap soldering leads to cracks that need to be resoldered. I’M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR TV.

But...

After previous experiences with this same situation on other devices, I opened up an old Vizio TV that would flash the logo for 5 min at a time, then either shut off or freeze, and removed the power supply board. Put it in a warm oven for a little, just enough to get the solder to liquify a tad and resolder the invisible cracks, and...

It has been working ever since.

I’d browse around the interwebs for a bit with your model # and see what’s out there.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I’ve “repaired” a few devices by cooking the offending circuit board. Cheap soldering leads to cracks that need to be resoldered. I’M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR TV.

But...

After previous experiences with this same situation on other devices, I opened up an old Vizio TV that would flash the logo for 5 min at a time, then either shut off or freeze, and removed the power supply board. Put it in a warm oven for a little, just enough to get the solder to liquify a tad and resolder the invisible cracks, and...

It has been working ever since.

I’d browse around the interwebs for a bit with your model # and see what’s out there.
    I went ahead and bought a new TV as much as I hated to....but, I am gonna order some parts and try fixing this one. I just cant throw it away without opening it up. I am guessing this is the board you put in the oven? https://www.ebay.com/itm/334091179520

I cant help but think it is something silly that got fried.....

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    New TV time. I think I saw a >80" TV at Sam's club the other day for under 1k. Likely bargain basement components as well but that's a lot of viewing space for the $$.

Top Bottom