• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I believe the .40 S&W we tested was 180 grain and the .45 acp was 230 grain...
    In .40 S&W, I prefer either 155 or 165 grain JHP...heavy enough to generate additional momentum and light enough to not have as harsh of a recoil.
    In .45 ACP, I prefer Hornady's 165 grain JHP Hydra-Shok or Remington's Golden Sabre 185 grain JHP, both of which shoots very well (are very accurate and both have a very moderate felt recoil) in the Glock 36 that I like.
    I talked to a retired State Trooper he felt that anything lighter than 180gr isn't going to cut it for an all around bullet. He was from Nebraska, and that was about 30 years ago.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I talked to a retired State Trooper he felt that anything lighter than 180gr isn't going to cut it for an all around bullet. He was from Nebraska, and that was about 30 years ago.
    I understand where he's coming from, but the break point, for me, is 155 grain...even a standard pressure 158 grain JHP .38 Special will often out penetrate a 9mm due to the heavier grain of the bullet that helps to build and generate it's own momentum. Not to mention that powders have improved, which has aided in increased bullet velocity, but one can only do so much with a contained space and diameter.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I understand where he's coming from, but the break point, for me, is 155 grain...even a standard pressure 158 grain JHP .38 Special will often out penetrate a 9mm due to the heavier grain of the bullet that helps to build and generate it's own momentum.
    I remember reading about British police/military IIRC it came out in the late 1920's or early 1930's. They used a 200gr bullet in 38 S&W. They had very good results with it compared to the 455. It was slow but hit hard. I wish I could find that book it had all kinds of good information from the past.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I remember reading about British police/military IIRC it came out in the late 1920's or early 1930's. They used a 200gr bullet in 38 S&W. They had very good results with it compared to the 455. It was slow but hit hard. I wish I could find that book it had all kinds of good information from the past.
    So many either don't understand bullet grains, velocity, and force-impact...and the process under which all of this was designed, tested, and designed!
    Too many today just watch an online video, say, 'I have a 9mm!' and (some) go on to even think it's just as good as a larger or heavier caliber. And some of these guys claim a 9mm is 'better, when it's being fired from a shoulder-fired platform, but with a 4" barrel, their ballistics are still the same as their 4" pistol, albeit a bit more accurate for some. To improve 9mm bullet performance, one has to involve a longer barrel, such as an 8" or 10" to get the improved performance.
    My wife wanted a shoulder-fired platform that matched her Beretta 92FS (magazines, anyhow) and I found her an older, used, CX-4 with a 16" barrel...and, while it's a bit offensive to look at (it is quite the 'space-age' looking thing) with a red dot on it, it's accurate as heck and a hoot to shoot!
    I've even had a guy tell me his 9mm was just as good (effective) as a .357 magnum (he tried anyhow) when the 9mm's grain and velocity were much different (the compared .357 magnum was 65 grains heavier and was traveling 300+ fps faster) but was the same diameter (well, close, .355 vs .357...but who's counting that at 1400+ fps) and that his 'high-capacity' 15 round magazine gave him the 'edge' (aka, all the difference) because he had more rounds!
    For handgun hunting purposes, I prefer a 180 grain cast load from Buffalo Bore that's giving me 1400 fps and nearly 800 foot lbs of energy at the muzzle.
    What's really fun is shooting .357 magnum ammo out of a 16" lever-action rifle...it'll turn .44 magnum rated spinner plates into shallow saucers!

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I noticed last year there was still 40 ammo on the shelves. I remember 18 years ago 40s were the most popular thing around. I carried a 357 and didn’t pay attention to semi automatics until recently. When/why did the 40 lose popularity? Anyone here love them?

I like the .40 bullet in the 10 cartridge.

IMG_0744.JPG

Top Bottom