Anybody care to help me identify my $50 s&w gun show paperweight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I added this thread to smith-wessonforum.com, too, but the more eyes the merrier...

Okay, first let me state that the reason why I referred to this as a "paperweight" is because, at the moment the cylinder rotates freely when the hammer is not pulled back. While I'm sure I could attempt to fire it in this condition, I have no intentions of doing so. I so, however, plan on remedying said issue and probably just displaying it on my office wall, or something similar to that.

Anywho, with that out of the way, I was hoping if you fine folks could assist me in identifying approximately what year/model .32 top break revolver I have in my possession. Long story short I was purchasing a few other firearms from my usual dealer at a gun show and saw this on his table with a tag that read "$50.00 today." I have no idea why, but I just had to have it, hence my current situation.

Back on point. At first I thought it was a revolver of a different brand that had simply been fitted with (mismatched) Smith and Wesson grips. My basis for this was that, when looking down the sights, the cylinder turns clockwise. I had been lead to believe that all Smith and Wesson revolvers had turned counter-clockwise. Is this correct for this model revolver?

Without further adieu, here are a few photos (I'll admit that I'm a photo-happy individual) that I'm hoping may help someone on here tell me what I purchased.

5517845521_5b7322060a_z.jpg

5518450170_4a3d8269a2_z.jpg

5517850087_38009e66bb_z.jpg

5517853385_c43d1fc1b2_z.jpg

5517856313_f3f243aa5f_z.jpg

I'm not sure which way the serial should read, since it seems all of the characters with the exception of the 1 could read in either direction (6's or 9's, and such). I believe it's supposed to be "60991," but you guys would certainly know better than I.

5517859819_2ca391fbf8_z.jpg

And these last two I just thought were neat.

5517862627_82192650c5_z.jpg

5518453302_632db168b7_z.jpg

I did do a bit of stumbling around the internet like a blind man using google as a walking-stick and was lead to believe that quite a number of these were produced, so I'm not expecting much in terms of worth, but a general ballpark would be nice.

I would have purchased the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, but the other Smith and Wesson in my less than impressive gun collection (an sw40e) isn't a collector's or vintage item by any means so it'd be hard for me to justify the expense on a pistol that cost not much more than the catalog would.

Anybody care to take a stab at it?

Thanks In Advance,
    -Devon

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I am looking in the S&W Standard Catalog. Appears to be a .32 Double Action 2nd Model. IF I am looking at everything correctly.

c.1880-1882. The serial number range doesn't seem to match yours, however. So......... Maybe I am wrong.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Wow. Thanks for the response. If it isn't too much trouble, what's the serial number range supposed to be?

That intrigues me.

Either way, thanks a bunch for the info. That's why I love this site.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Serial range is 31-22172. Maybe yours is 16609. ??? That would make it correct. 22, 142 were made. I'm thinking the Russian guns were of a larger frame and caliber, at least from what I'm reading here.

A sweet piece of history. I would at least hang on to that swirl pattern grip panel.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    sw

Hi,
    That cylinder and bore just looks like a 38 to me... I would see if it is a 38, that would make more sense, the serial number would match up better, and as far as I know, they only made those red mottled grips on 38's.
    It looks to me to be a 38 second model, identical to the 32 second except for the caliber. well worth the $50, but I would guess value of around $200, if you get it working. Parts are available, I don't think it would take much to get it going. Actually, there might not be anything broken. with the small amount of surface rust visible, it might just be a little rusty in the lockwork and once cleaned real good, could start working correctly. I do think the cylinder rotates that way intentionally, on this model, if it rotated the other way, it might unscrew the ejector. I would shoot it, but I might find some black powder loaded rounds, they are available at reloaders that handle ammo for cowboy action shooters.
    Yep, the more I look, the more it looks like a 38. take a 38 special or 357 and see if the bore diameter is close to that. It should be chambered for the 38 S+W.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm not certain of what it is, but I am certain that the red-swirled grip is sweet!

Great find- as mentioned above, a good cleaning might just bring her back to time.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    the guys on swforum said the same thing you guys are. Looks like it's a .38 and not a .32 as i'd previously thought.

As far as the cylinder rotating, the lock on the trigger (I'm assumming. Haven't had it apart, yet) for when the hammer is down seems worn just enough to allow the cylinder to spin freely. My original though was to add a bit of material to it via welding and reshape it, but, given the age, I don't feel comfortable doing that.

I could machine a new trigger assembly, but that's a lot of time for something I probably won't shoot, so I'm going to have to weigh my options and ponder it. That is unless someone knows where to purchase the needed parts?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    parts

well, yes, I just happen to know a place..lol..
    This guy has most everything, if he does not, he gets old parts in all the time, so he will have it in stock eventually. Or he might be able to tell you where to get the part you need.
    And on top of that, the page has an exploded view of all the parts in the revolver so you can see what's needed.
    this is a link to Dave Chicoine's website. he is an old west gunsmith and parts place. he also has a parts finder service of some kind.
    Smith &

Last edited:
    Top Bottom