Anybody have meplat trimming and bullet pointing equip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I am interested in meplat trimming and bullet pointing for increased accuracy and BC. I want to give it a shot and I was wondering if anybody has the equipment (meplat trimmer and bullet pointing die) that I could borrow for a week or two to run some bullets through...

I'll pay shipping both ways if we're too far away to meet up. I just can't afford to buy a bullet pointing die right now.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Gonna give it another shot. Anybody?

Somebody in IN does this, I know they do.

I just can't afford to buy the die as a "trial" right now. I'll make it worth your while.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I don't know of anyone with that trimmer, but it seems like it might be a good investment for a .224 and a .30 cal trimmer. Sierra Matchking bullets are great, but they often have very uneven meplats.

They run about $125 per caliber, if I've seen the ones you're talking about. These?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't know of anyone with that trimmer, but it seems like it might be a good investment for a .224 and a .30 cal trimmer. Sierra Matchking bullets are great, but they often have very uneven meplats.

They run about $125 per caliber, if I've seen the ones you're talking about. These?
    Yes, that is one possible trimmer, but IIRC, any meplat trimmer will work at long as you set it up right. I'm moreso looking for the pointing/tipping die like this: Bullet Pointing Die, Bullet Tipping Die

I have a big batch of the cheap bulk wideners 168 SMK clones and I think the tips are their biggest detriment to accuracy. I've sorted them by weight and bearing surface length, they the tips are still pretty bad on some. I'd like to try to the trimming and pointing to see if it helps. Trimming gets you close, but pointing increases your BC and increases overall uniformity of the bullet point.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never really saw the need. Some batches of Seirra MatchKings would have a few with the tips sticking out a little too far. I just take the bullet and smack the tip on the side of my bench vise. Shortening that tip .015-.020" is not that big of deal. Ammo with the smacked tips was good enough for many 200 yard cleans (including a 10X), 300 yard cleans and quite a few 600 yard high master scores over the years. It probably does not hurt anything, but it seems like a lot of work for little reason.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not saying that you can't shoot good groups without it, but I do think it improves groups. It may be a lot of work, but I enjoy doing that stuff. I actually enjoy sorting bullets etc and reloading nearly as much as shooting. So for me I can handle the extra time to see if it can make these cheap bullets shoot a little better. I just don't want to invest a bunch of money (the die is $250 alone) that I really don't have right now in a "trial" to see if its going to help these bullets out.

Top Bottom