• ...and so much more!
  • bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hi All,

I have recently come across a bullet mold on MarlinOwners.com from an outfit called Ranch Dog Outdoors. It appears that Ranch Dog makes their own custom bullet molds specifically for certain rifles, in this case the Marlin 1894c 38/357. Here is a link to MarlinOwners.com:

RD's TLC359-175-RF and the 357 Mag

Ranch Dog has done some testing with this bullet and the results look pretty good. Apparently he pulled a "Quigley" on a couple hogs (I just learned what a Quigley is somewhere on INGO, :ingo:rocks!). I am thinking that this bullet loaded on top of some Lil'Gun or H110 will make a great under 100 yd .357 deer load.

I do my own reloads, but I have no interest (at the moment) in casting my own bullets. Since I do not want to cast my own bullets and it appears that Ranch Dog only sells the molds, is there anyone around here that will do custom bullet casting?

The mold is not for sale yet, as it is still under development, but I would purchase the mold and lend it to the caster. I just need someone with the equipment, material, time, and willingness to cast the bullets for me.

Thanks,

bamthetrashman

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    What is your location ? I cast lead and would be more than willing to help you out. I have a 1894c 357 rifle and wouldn't mind casting a few out for myself also.

I cast a similar 158gr bullet for the 1894 currently although their for .38 loads. I see the Ranch Dog is gas checked for .357 magnum rounds. Sounds like a winner!

358158fp640x480.jpg

Last edited:

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hi Straight-Shooter,

I live in north Indy, just south of Fishers. Maybe I should add that to my profile...

I really appreciate the response, and I will definently call you up when I get the mold. Hopefully Ranch Dog gets them finished soon and starts selling them.

Thanks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ranch Dog had those bullet molds made by Lee in the past, they were tumble lube design but he did make an additional dip in the Lee lube. Good cast bullet, I have the old Lee molds in various calibers and use the 265 grain .432 for hunting every year. Marlin microgrove likes the oversize bullet with lots of bearing area. He quit making them a while back, now it sounds like he is hooking up with another mold maker.:)

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Slug your bore, clean the copper out and send me a PM (a little coaching might be in order). I have a 180gr. GC design that will put a smile on your face. Be glad to lube you up some to get started, just pay the postage.

jim

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Hi JTB,

How exactly does one go about slugging their bore?

I have heard about doing this, but haven't done any research on how to do it. I was just assuming my rifle is the same as all the others and that if a bullet works in one, it will work in mine. However, I think it might be worth slugging the bore just to now what my rifle measures.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Give the barrel a good cleaning, run an oily patch through it. Get a pure lead slug or egg sinker the appropriate size. Start the slug into the barrel with a soft faced hammer, once it is flush I switch to steel rod, 5/16" would be right for a .357, place a few wraps of electical tape every few inches to protect the barrel and a heavy hammer and lightly drive the slug through the barrel, you will also be able to feel any constrictions with this method. Measure the slug with a micrometer, you will want to size at least .001" over your groove diameter for cast bullets.

Top Bottom