Anyone else have issues getting your wife to do any shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LadyRuger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    One woman’s opinion

I was raised in a family that went out back and shot firearms; hand guns and rifles. Attended a Hunter’s Safety course so I could go hunting with my dad, as soon as Michigan law allowed. (Seems like it was 12yo back then.) Married a man that studied deer nearly 365 days a year and we did that together, and hunted during bow and rifle season. I had an FFL at my hardware store and sporting goods was our biggest money maker. (Western Michigan so besides hunting, lots of fishing supplies.) One of the few females issued a CCW in Oceana county. (Thirty-five years ago, to apply for a CCW in Michigan, had to go before a board comprised of the sheriff, a state police officer and city police chief and prove need and training experience.) Over the last twenty years, have taught many women how to operate/shoot hand guns safely. All of this information is to explain my experience level.

This is what I recommend:

This is not a quick process and it takes a patient significant other.

If you don’t own one, borrow or purchase a larger framed 22LR pistol with a safety. If you suspect she will get into shooting, purchased one for her. There are many to choose from but for example: Ruger SR22, Walter P22Q, M&P22C, Mosquito. The first time female shooters that I have worked with have preferred this size of a pistol and appreciate the safety button.

While sitting at home relaxed, go over the parts of the gun, how to hold it, how the sights work and how to line them up. Drawing sights on paper can be helpful. Spend enough time on how the safety works that it is fully understood. What happens when the trigger is squeezed and why we keep our hands off/away from the slide while shooting. How to load and unload the magazine. How to seat and remove the magazine. She needs to do ALL of this for herself several times, once shown how. Keep it relaxed and welcome questions. There is no need to chamber a round unless at the range. Explaining the significance of chambering should help her feel safer learning about the pistol. After significant time learning the pistol, she will become more confident with it. When she does, invite her on a date to shoot it. If she says no, she needs to spend more time learning the pistol to be more confident.

Purchase some fun colorful targets for her to shoot. Never met a woman that didn’t like the targets with a bathroom scale on it.

DO NOT RUSH INTO LARGER CALIBERS UNLESS YOU DO NOT WANT A SHOOTING BUDDY.

After SHE expresses wanting to shoot a center fire pistol, make sure you have an UpLula for loading. Besides making it easier to load a magazine, it helps preserve long nails. Going from the 22LR, to 380ACP, to 9mm, allows them to quit when they stop feeling comfortable going up. This slowly stepping up, allows them to experience a little more kick at a time and after the first shot, the fear diminishes. Yes, some 380’s can kick more than a 9mm so select these pistols wisely. Larger, heavier frames will help make the experience more enjoyable for her. Each time you switch pistols, STOP and show how this pistol works, where is the safety, mag release etc. Once she is comfortable with the next pistol, let her be the one that loads it and chambers a round. Do not push her into shooting more guns. If she only wants to shoot a 22, let it be.

Think like a woman and ENJOY your new shooting buddy.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Most husband and wife teams are competitive, whether they realize it or not.

When I have the wife alone as a student, we eliminate the fear and turn it into fun. Always.

I try not to have the pair together as the rivalry bleeds out into the bay. Also, he is usually the one who misguided her in instruction in the first place.

When I do have a pair, often I have her handling more safe and shooting better than him.

So there is that.

Training someone to shoot is more than someone who has guns trying to instruct.
    You have to know people. You have to be able to shoot and not be so afraid of your performance that you won’t compete.

And most of all, you have to have an affordable continuum for skill set development. Otherwise, one is just taking money for a job that is not well done.

It doesn’t happen in the classroom. It happens behind the gun on the range.

See you at “Standby”

Trapper

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I shoot pistols indoors once a week and rifles, when the weather permits, probably twice a month. My wife shoots pistols at least twice as often as I do and it shows when we shoot together. There's no competition between us but she does regularly compete in GSSF events. She sees herself as her main competition and shoots with the intent of improving. Get out there ladies and join a ladies-only shooting group. You'll learn more, enjoy it more, and not have to hear the old man's BS. :):

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Without shooting at you?
    She did refrain from shooting me. She did fire some divorce papers my way and I was happy to unload her from my life, fortunately she moved out while I was away for the weekend so I didn't have to rifle through her stuff. We certainly didn't go off half-cocked as we brought it to an end. No need to muzzle each other as we took aim at separate lives. I set my sights on future head shots and had to do many re-loads with other shooting partners. It wasn't hard for partners to find the smoking gun. My door was a revolver if you know what I mean.

If this post doesn't get censored I'll be surprised. :D

This post brought to you by sheer boredom and buffalo trace.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    She did refrain from shooting me. She did fire some divorce papers my way and I was happy to unload her from my life, fortunately she moved out while I was away for the weekend so I didn't have to rifle through her stuff. We certainly didn't go off half-cocked as we brought it to an end. No need to muzzle each other as we took aim at separate lives. I set my sights on future head shots and had to do many re-loads with other shooting partners. It wasn't hard for partners to find the smoking gun. My door was a revolver if you know what I mean.

If this post doesn't get censored I'll be surprised. :D

This post brought to you by sheer boredom and buffalo trace.

IMG_0680.PNG

Top Bottom