• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I was driving through the field next to my parents house and started to notice some puffball mushrooms had popped up. I split a couple open and they look like they are ready to eat. There are probably 20 or more of them, varying in size from golf ball to soccer ball size.

anyone ever eat these things? Ive heard you can, but never have. Any recommendations on how to cook them?

thanks,
    clay

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i had to google to see what those looked like, but they appear to be what is growing in my yard. I just run them over with the mower and call it a day?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've only ever had one cooked up (years and years ago), and I seem to remember it being sliced and cooked in butter with a few other seasonings--sorry, but it's been way too long to remember exact details! I think it was fairly bland, but soaked up whatever other flavors were there with it. If I was to try cooking one again, I'd say slice it pretty thin and cook it with or on a steak, maybe with bacon added?? :rockwoot: Or slice/dice it up and cook it with just about any Chinese recipe--the spices and seasonings should be pretty awesome with the puffball. Basically, I'd treat it like a naturally growing hunk of tofu...good luck with however you fix it!!:twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    slice 1/2" dredge in seasoned flour and fry in butter. They are realy pretty good. Make sure that the flesh is still firm and white. If they have discolored at all, discard them or wait until they turn to powder and run over them with your mower.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've heard yes and no on whether they're even edible, so I'd probably go with yes, but they're not real good. Of course, that would probably depend a lot on the preparation, so I bet there are ways you can make them pretty good. I'd be willing to try it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The recent rain has them popping up all over, along with a variety of other mushrooms throughout the woods. I'm not much for them except as a minor ingredient in sauté. They don't have a lot of flavor and the texture is on the spongy side.

But they are plentiful. A down the road neighbor sent a picture from the past weekend, with a CZ452 for sizing.

92011pballs.JPG

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    They are very edible. Slice and fry in butter. The flavor is just about like any other basic mushroom.

However, if you really want a tasty fall fungus, my absolute favorite is the sulphur shelf, sometimes called the chicken, and close to that is another called the hen.

Delicious, cubed, sauteed in butter and added to stir fry or scrambled eggs.

SulphurShelf_thumb2.jpg

hen.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have eaten the puffballs a couple of times, they are okay. Do not eat them expecting it to be like a morel or you will be disappointed. .

I always wanted to try the hen of the woods but never knew anyone around here that had eaten one and didnt want to eat the first one without having someone that knew look at it and say, yep, that's okay

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Mr. Habib, that one is probably past its edibility stage. If it is not pure white in the middle, do not eat it.

Top Bottom