Anyone Familiar with Winchester Highwalls?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Remi217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2021
    Attica Indiana
    I recently had my grandfather pass away a few months ago. After going through his gun safe I came across what I believe to be a 1885 Winchester Highwall. I know its old enough to be an antique I'm just curious to see if its worth getting appraised? I attached a few pics. any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210912_180718 (2).jpg
      20210912_180718 (2).jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 42
    • 20210912_180709.jpg
      20210912_180709.jpg
      2.2 MB · Views: 42
    • 20210912_180656.jpg
      20210912_180656.jpg
      1,016.9 KB · Views: 42

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If it is a Winchester you can get it lettered.
    Tells when and how it left the factory ect.
    Cost money and time for the price of paper but normally adds at least the cost of getting the letter to the value of the gun.

High and low walls can have huge swings in value depending on year and caliber along with the normal condition

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Caliber?

Any original 1885 is going to bring big bucks, but like anything else the value is in the details.

Can't be more specific, but the Uberti repro guns go for over $1K.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I recently had my grandfather pass away a few months ago. After going through his gun safe I came across what I believe to be a 1885 Winchester Highwall. I know its old enough to be an antique I'm just curious to see if its worth getting appraised? I attached a few pics. any advice would be appreciated!

Since you asked, I will give.

Great firearm...discern between a buck and why it was handed down.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Welcome to INGO.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    First-Sorry for your Loss. Growing up, my Maternal Grandfather & I were Inseparable. I think it'd definitely be worth an Appraisal. Problem may be finding someone that knows WTH they're talking about! Having said that, I wouldn't Sell It due to sentimental reasons-No Matter the Price. I have 3 of my Grandfather's weapons, wouldn't part with them & will pass them on to our Daughter & SIL, JMO

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Looks to be a Winder Musket of some sort. Can't discern if it's a high wall or low wall by your pics. They are both valuable but it would depend on caliber, US stamped and condition. The caliber should be stamped on the barrel right in front of the receiver. If it has the flaming bomb stamped behind the hammer it is a US military. Condition is a little rough but I've seen worse. If you could give a few more pics of it in the areas i described it would help. As Winchester aren't making them anymore and it was your grandfather's I would keep it. Your grandfather had good taste in firearms. Sorry for your loss.

Welcome to INGO and heller first post. Cool rifle.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    No 'Winder musket' came with a buckhorn rear sight and the fore stock was much longer than pictured. They all had Lyman rear peep sights. There is a long interesting story to them but as this isn't one this is not the place.

The 1885 was the first patent sold to Winchester by John Moses Browning. From then until their falling out the Browning brothers had a contract for Winchester to buy 2 patents a year, some of which were never produced.

What you have there is a standard high wall in original used condition. If the bore is shootable it is worth $1500-2200. In excellent condition it would bring $5000. This is providing it is of the most common bores of rimfire: 1) .22 short, 2) .22 long, 3) .22 WCF and .22 lr a distant 4th. Centerfire calibers: 1) .32 WCF, 2) .32-40. Other common centerfire calibers are .38-55, .25-20, .44 WCF, .32 long and .45-70. There are centerfire calibers that were 'one off' and extremely rare and valuable despite condition.

Other things to take into account are wall thickness, they come in thick and thin. A thick wall makes the receiver the same width as the stock, thin wall is milled down and flares back out to match the stock. A thick side high wall is very rare but common on the low wall.

The standard high wall came in a blued finish on the receiver, other models could have a case colored frame.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you post more pictures, caliber, barrel length it would be easier to give an idea of price. In the more common calibers, shootable I see $1200 to $2500. A letter could push the price into the collectible money range, ie grandpa did something and TR gave the gun to him. TR having ordered or gave the gun puts a high price tag on it, then insurance may be needed. What I can see I would say use it like your grandpa did, enjoy it and think of him. If you shoot it make sure it isn't black powder only or load some black and shoot.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No 'Winder musket' came with a buckhorn rear sight and the fore stock was much longer than pictured. They all had Lyman rear peep sights. There is a long interesting story to them but as this isn't one this is not the place.

The 1885 was the first patent sold to Winchester by John Moses Browning. From then until their falling out the Browning brothers had a contract for Winchester to buy 2 patents a year, some of which were never produced.

What you have there is a standard high wall in original used condition. If the bore is shootable it is worth $1500-2200. In excellent condition it would bring $5000. This is providing it is of the most common bores of rimfire: 1) .22 short, 2) .22 long, 3) .22 WCF and .22 lr a distant 4th. Centerfire calibers: 1) .32 WCF, 2) .32-40. Other common centerfire calibers are .38-55, .25-20, .44 WCF, .32 long and .45-70. There are centerfire calibers that were 'one off' and extremely rare and valuable despite condition.

Other things to take into account are wall thickness, they come in thick and thin. A thick wall makes the receiver the same width as the stock, thin wall is milled down and flares back out to match the stock. A thick side high wall is very rare but common on the low wall.

The standard high wall came in a blued finish on the receiver, other models could have a case colored frame.

Excellent contribution Mongo59.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    You have an 1885 Winchester Low Wall.
    The difference is how high the sides of the receiver come up over the breechblock.
    If you look on the lower tang under the lever you should find the serial number.
    Oldguns.net has a page where you can plug in the serial and discover the year of manufacture.
    The cartridge it takes should be marked just ahead of the receiver on the top barrel flat.
    Nice rifle.

Top Bottom