Anyone have a good horizontal carry setup?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Like the title says - I'd like to have a small fixed blade carried horizontally on my belt. In your opinion, what is the best knife/sheath setup to accomplish this?

Even a good knife recommendation would be useful, I can probably make my own sheath since I've started playing with Kydex.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Like the title says - I'd like to have a small fixed blade carried horizontally on my belt. In your opinion, what is the best knife/sheath setup to accomplish this?

Even a good knife recommendation would be useful, I can probably make my own sheath since I've started playing with Kydex.

Check my threads for customer kydex and leather sheaths. The knifes and sheaths pictured are setup for horizontal carry.

2012-08-13_16-37-09_349.jpg

ESEE 3 and Swamp Rat

I carry the Swamp Rat everyday on my left front side the the handle over laps my belt buckle so I can draw it with my right hand. Unless I lift my shirt up you wouldn't even notice it.

2012-08-13_16-35-21_279.jpg

My second facorite knife to carry is the Kershaw wich is the smallest knife in the picture. I carry it the same as the Swamp Rat but on my right side. The large blades I carry on my backside usually with my center belt loop in the middle of the loops so they cant shift.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    A friend of mine makes narrow Kydex sheaths made specifically to go through, and clip to, the belt loop on your off hand side. It's a slick set up. I've also seen him with a piece of bicycle inner tub wrapped around the sheath and belt making it a really secure system (although it probably takes a minute or ten to slide the knife sheath into the inner tube and belt).

It's low profile enough that one of my coworkers runs an ESEE 4 in the same setup off duty and with a t-shirt over it you can barely tell its there.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Would nylon belt keepers(like LEO duty belt) do anything? Guess you can superglue them if no way to thread them through the knife sheath. Kydex sheaths are pretty cool and don't get water soaked, then mold or rot.(like a leather one would) Just thinking...

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Shadowtech knives.

Most everything is under $100...made in the USA...I believe in Ohio.

They come with a very nice kydex sheath that can be mounted somthing like 26 different ways.

I always carry mine weak side and usually vertical, but the sheath has chicago screws and can be converted to horizontal.

They really take care of their customers too...I bent the clip on my old sheath so I tried to buy another one and he just gave it to me....heck of a guy.

Not trying to step on Brad or Knifelady's toes, they have always taken very good care of me....just in this situation, this is my preference.

BACKUP

God bless
    -Shred

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Shadowtech knives.

They come with a very nice kydex sheath that can be mounted somthing like 26 different ways.

I always carry mine weak side and usually vertical, but the sheath has chicago screws and can be converted to horizontal.

They really take care of their customers too...I bent the clip on my old sheath so I tried to buy another one and he just gave it to me....heck of a guy.

Not trying to step on Brad or Knifelady's toes, they have always taken very good care of me....just in this situation, this is my preference.

BACKUP

God bless
    -Shred

John and Dave are good guys...I own a few Shadow Tech knives myself.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Shadowtech knives.

BACKUP

God bless
    -Shred

I agree. They're really nice. Unless you want a bigger knife, I suggest the hunter neck knife. I got one for my girlfriend and it rules. You can also get a clip for it to wear on your belt:
    32711028.jpg

I carry one of these (Talon E) on my belt by them horizontally near my groin:

img_0239.jpg

It works out fine, I can draw it with either hand and it is concealed as long as my belly keeps my shirt from riding up when I raise my arms. I do let it ride closer to my righthand pocket at times when I'm bending over a lot, in this configuration the handle tends to kit a lot of things when I walk by since it projects out from my bodyline, which is why I kind of want to get the smaller hiker to carry there since I already carry this from the same dudes on my left hand side hanging upside down by my wallet(Talon A):

e86a68bb7bf99180e0f5c2b8e492524f.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom