Anyone have an AK47 thread kit they are willing to loan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omarsr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Hello, I am from New Mexico and found some really great info here. I have a Bulgarian SLR95/AK47. I removed the pin on muzzle brake years ago right after purchase (1995) and now want to thread the barrel. Would anyone be kind enough to let me use their threading kit for an AK47 if they have one? Only doing one barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't find one here locally.

omarsr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    lol, I understand. Would it ease your mind more if I told you I was a former police officer and am now a private investigator. I wouldn't want to lose my license over a theft charge. lol.

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I need to thread the barrel on my Saiga. Have the shroud removed already. I have thought about ordering the parts off Dinzag, doing what I need to do and then selling the kit on eBay. It's around $60ish to buy the tools and they go for around $50ish on eBay when thry are on there. That way it only runs you about $10 for a one time use situation. That might be an option for you.

omarsr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Are the 14:1 LH threads fine or coarse pitch? I can find the cutting die at Auto Zone and also found some at a local tool supply shop for $12. I have a die handle. Then all I need to do is buy a TAT. Can come out low cost this way.

omarsr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    actually, I did find a 14:1 LH at autozone. I called them and asked about their loaner tools. They do have a 14:1 LH cutting die in their die set. I can get it there. Just want to know if it's fine or coarse thread. They said the fine is 20 threads per inch.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    actually, I did find a 14:1 LH at autozone. I called them and asked about their loaner tools. They do have a 14:1 LH cutting die in their die set. I can get it there. Just want to know if it's fine or coarse thread. They said the fine is 20 threads per inch.

Believe it when its in your hand. LH M14x1 is not a standard thread by any stretch, so the likely hood of autozone having it IMO is pretty slim.

As for course or fine, it doesnt matter. The thread is 14mm x 1.0mm. The 14mm is the OD, the 1.0mm is the pitch. This is a metric thread, there is no 'TIP' / Threads Per Inch in a metric thread. the spacing (ie pitch) is 1.0mm from thread to thread.

thats the other reason Im doubting autozone. Anyone who tells you the need to know if the M14x1 thread is fine or course doenst know much about threads.

omarsr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    They didn't ask me that. I was just asking as I have never dealt with metric threading. In their die set they do have a 14:1 LH thread cutter. They didn't ask me if it was fine or coarse. That's me asking. I've done standard and know there is fine or coarse but I have never done metric. I just need to order a TAT now and I'm good to go.

Top Bottom