• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Going through my "stuff" I had packed away I found a Realist USA rifle scope in a 4X power. It looks in pretty good condition but I cannot find out any information on this make. There is no model number or name on the scope to help in indentification. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I think I remember "Realist" brand scopes. I think think it was a trade name used by one of the large chain stores: Sears, Western Auto, or some such. Probably made on contract by another scope manufacturer like Weaver, Bushnell or some other. I seem to remember this in conjunction with my early shooting days in high school. That would be in the early to late 60's as I graduated in '67. Had a Winchester model 70 in .270 with a K4 Weaver back then. It was a class piece in it's time.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I believe almost all the hits are junk, nothing about realist scopes except a very few. Action arms web site had some info but I still do not know if the scope is decent quailty or not. Seems like it is. It is a four power and has cross hairs that taper from the sides and are very thin and parallel in the center. See attached example, similar but without tapered heavy lines. Would a 4X be for deer hunting? This site mentions that they think this scope sold in the $120 range around 1970, which was a good buck back then for a average single power scope. I might have found something and I don't have a gun to mount it on.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Here's a little info.:

**SOLD** SMA1915 Scope Realist Auto - Range 4 X - Realist started marketing a line of high quality hunting scopes in 1968. Realist scopes were designed by the famous Jim Leatherwood and were the first American made ART (Auto Ranging Telescope) scopes. All Realist scopes featured constantly centered reticules and nitrogen filled alloy tubes. This scope has a duplex reticule and rangefinder. Condition would rate 90 - 95% with light wear. $35.00

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/
    :cheers:

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Here's a little info.:

**SOLD** SMA1915 Scope Realist Auto - Range 4 X - Realist started marketing a line of high quality hunting scopes in 1968. Realist scopes were designed by the famous Jim Leatherwood and were the first American made ART (Auto Ranging Telescope) scopes. All Realist scopes featured constantly centered reticules and nitrogen filled alloy tubes. This scope has a duplex reticule and rangefinder. Condition would rate 90 - 95% with light wear. $35.00

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/
    :cheers:

Sounds like I found something useful down the line. Need to go out and buy another 22 rifle to put it on. :): Looks like it is made decent and has sharp optics so I think I will keep it if all it is worth is thirty bucks. Thanks for the info.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Realist Scopes

I just finished a book on snipers in Vietnam and they mentioned the Realist scope being used on various rifles used by the snipers so they must make a pretty good scope.

Akicita

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Realist USA "computer" 6x scope

Going through my "stuff" I had packed away I found a Realist USA rifle scope in a 4X power. It looks in pretty good condition but I cannot find out any information on this make. There is no model number or name on the scope to help in indentification. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks

I have a Realist USA scope that is 6x and has "camputer" as part of the name. It also has two cams that can be swapped out (one for 308 and one for 30-06). The mount is quite unique too. I will post a couple pics. It is a dark purple (ish) color and had similar difficulty finding out anything about them. I took it to a gun show and no one seemed to know anything about them but I did get offers. Please let me know if you find anything else out.

P1050621-1.jpg
    P1050614-1.jpg

Last edited:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Looks like a good scope... If it gathers enough light mount it on something down the road and see if it holds zero!!

Traderbob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I have a Realist 6X Auto Range Finding scope. These scopes were developed and marketed by Jim Leatherwood in the late 60's and early 70's. When mine was purchased in 1969 it was the same price as a comparable Leopold scope. The Realist was made in the USA by David White Optics. Jim Leatherwood passed away in recent years and Hi-Lux now owns the copany. The neat thing about the 6X auto range is the cam system that tilts the scope to compensate for drop based on the caliber you are shooting. you could buy different cams based on the caliber (I have one on a 7MM Mag. The downside is the specal mount with one piece bottom that the cam has to rest on. Mine recently sheared off during shooting and I have been unable to find a replacement. You may be in better position with the 4X as I believe a standard 1" ring and mount system will work. Good Luck!

Top Bottom