Anyone in central indiana have experience with LoRa/Meshtastic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It does look really interesting. Been watching Josh on YouTube talk about them.

Maybe we need to get an INGO Indy mesh going? Hmmmmm

EDIT: I can light up the approximate area of Mills and Mooresville road, as well as roughly 30th and Shadeland.

Last edited:

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    I've been interested in it. No where near your area, but with communication networks seeming to get more unstable, having easy alternatives can't be a bad idea

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This sounds very similar to the GMRS relay system. However, if the infrastructure went down and the loss of those relays, this sounds like it would be a good alternative.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I've put together several of them. They are not bad to configure at all. In my limited testing they work pretty well. Depending on what your intent is, the communication is secure but they can still be easily DF'ed. The Bluetooth connection to them is also less than ideal but in my option is a lesser concern.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I've put together several of them. They are not bad to configure at all. In my limited testing they work pretty well. Depending on what your intent is, the communication is secure but they can still be easily DF'ed. The Bluetooth connection to them is also less than ideal but in my option is a lesser concern.
    Do you mind explaining what DF'ed is?
    Are you setting them up for businesses, or preppers, or what?

Do I understand correctly that Meshtastic is basically connecting your phone via bluetooth to a radio, that either hits a repeater or another radio (ok technically both/all?) and then the recipient gets the message on their phone through their mesh connection?

What keeps this secure and non public, keeps anyone from seeing the message?
    Is it voice/text/data?
    What does running a repeater look like? Is that even the right term for this?
    And theoretically how far would the right antenna 50' in the air reach?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Do I understand correctly that Meshtastic is basically connecting your phone via bluetooth to a radio, that either hits a repeater or another radio (ok technically both/all?) and then the recipient gets the message on their phone through their mesh connection?

Is it voice/text/data?
    Give this a watch. It explains a lot. No repeaters per se.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel

Is it voice/text/data?
    DF - Direction Finding. The act of triangulating the source of an RF signal.

They are part of a larger comm plan. I like being prepared.

Yes, that is basically correct. Phone via BT to Meshtastic using the 900MHz spectrum (encrypted if you would like) to Meshtastic to phone via BT. They are direct one to one, if configured so the Meshtastic radios can be part of a larger overall MESH network of radios. I believe you can also set them in repeater mode, but can't remember for certain right this moment.

You can configure the radio to use AES encryption making the communication secure. Except for some 3 letter agencies, most are not cracking the encryption. They can however find you via DF. That is why its important to know the technology, the capability of those that may not have your best interest at heart and apply the proper techniques when transmitting any RF signal.

Text based comms only.

Mileage will vary but an antenna 50' in the air will certainly fair better than one on the ground.

Top Bottom