• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I'm new to the Indy area and am looking for a correctional officer job. I've been spreading my resume and applications around for the greater part of the day... I'm a pretty successful traveling agent for Verizon BUT I want to peruse a life-long career goal in law enforcement. The surrounding police agencies aren't hiring, so I want to do something similar in the meantime.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    My wife recently accepted a great paying career in Indy (hence the move). This is the reason I can pursue my career path rather than worry about money.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    to be honest I think you're better off starting as a jailer. and wokring for that county jail for a few years, taking classes and whatever they want you to do, and then work your way up.. get your foot in the door and go from there

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Pendleton is pretty much always hiring these days. They have 3 facilities right around the same area. You can apply online at IN.gov site.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I know all the prisons hire pretty much on a regular basis.

Biggest thing to get into a LE agency is getting your name known. Go on ride alongs, get to know the officers... Not only that but it will get you a better view of the career. Also becoming a Reserve officer is a sure way. Its no pay, but you can get a lot of training with the PD of your choice, as well as get some life lessons from the seasoned officers. Most departments have a Reserve program, and they look at their Reserves first when hiring... Just another idea.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I have inquired to a few surrounding departments about becoming reserve. I'm brand new to the area and don't know of anyone I could ride along with.

Any officers on here that would welcome me, please let me know.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'm open to other jobs in the field. Thanks

Careful what you ask for. My brother just became a probation officer for cuyahoga county (cleveland ohio).

Before that he got his criminal justice degree from Akron, worked security at a power plant, was a cashier at a court house, was a jail guard, worked at a half way house and taught at a half way house.

It was a long road to get where he wanted but he stuck with it. Good luck.

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I spent 4 1/2 years as a CO at Plainfield Correctional and I will be honest... It was the worst years of my life. Turn over of staff is crazy, pay is lousy, benefits are lousy, the DOC is an agency that will make you want to eat your Glock out of frustration with the amount of liberties they give the offenders while they treat what staff does stick it out like garbage.

If you want to get into corrections go county or city..

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I spent 4 1/2 years as a CO at Plainfield Correctional and I will be honest... It was the worst years of my life. Turn over of staff is crazy, pay is lousy, benefits are lousy, the DOC is an agency that will make you want to eat your Glock out of frustration with the amount of liberties they give the offenders while they treat what staff does stick it out like garbage.

If you want to get into corrections go county or city..

That sounds horrible... with that said, I don't plan on making a career in correction. Thanks for the advice though!

Top Bottom