• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Wondering if anyone in lake county owns any class 3 items, or more specifically a. 22lr can.

Asking because I've talked to three people that said the sherrif will not sign off on any class 3 items. Haven't personally checked with sherrifs office but figured I'd check if anyone here has had success. I'm unincorporated lake county but in the northern half.

I want a can on my 10-22, have a threaded barrel, have the land to shoot on but the neighbors complain when I do so figure a can fixes that fight.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If that is the one county I've heard of where they do not sign off, look into a trust.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I dont yet but will very shortly just waiting on paper work. Im in cedar lake so far as i know i can go though the town. If not then ill be on to the sheriff so ill let you know.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I dont yet but will very shortly just waiting on paper work. Im in cedar lake so far as i know i can go though the town. If not then ill be on to the sheriff so ill let you know.

Please do.

I did call Schererville, spoke with an officer, they wouldn't put me through to chief because he was in a meeting. I was told "we are not going to approve the ownership of any illegal weapons no matter what paperwork you try to bring in" :rolleyes: They also will only accept LTCH paperwork between 9a-11a on first and third wednesdays of the month.... not exactly gun friendly

I have Schererville address but am unincorporated lake co so I believe being unincorporated I've got the sheriff and the sheriff only to go to.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Is it the sheriff's department that'd show up at your house if you called 911?

Whichever dept. that shows up is the dept. that you go through for approval. This might help.

-J-

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Please do.

I did call Schererville, spoke with an officer, they wouldn't put me through to chief because he was in a meeting. I was told "we are not going to approve the ownership of any illegal weapons no matter what paperwork you try to bring in" :rolleyes: They also will only accept LTCH paperwork between 9a-11a on first and third wednesdays of the month.... not exactly gun friendly

I have Schererville address but am unincorporated lake co so I believe being unincorporated I've got the sheriff and the sheriff only to go to.

Wow, what a bunch of jerks. That makes a whole lot of sense. You're going to try to own an illegal weapon by bringing paperwork to the police to sign. :n00b:

The Crown Point PD chief is great. Drop them off and he signs them right there.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Wow, what a bunch of jerks. That makes a whole lot of sense. You're going to try to own an illegal weapon by bringing paperwork to the police to sign. :n00b:

Hahaha, exactly. Whoever at the station told the OP that is a turd..
    I live in this wonderful town, too -_______-

I don't plan on getting any class 3 stuff anytime soon (maybe eventually), but have thought exactly the same situation before. What if the Sheriff won't sign your paperwork? Then what? You're just screwed?

A couple members have mentioned doing a 'trust'? Please explain more..

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    There are three "persons" who are allowed to possess Title II firearms. They are individuals, corporations and trusts.

The most common is an individual, which requires a CLEO sign-off.

For a long time, in places where CLEO's wouldn't sign, people would form a corporation and use that to take possession of the Title II firearms. The upside is no sign-off, no fingerprints or pictures, and you can make anyone an officer of the corporation and this allows them to possess the Title II without you present. Very nice for families. This also simplifies passing down your Title II to your heirs, as you just make them corporate officers and they can keep you stuff when you die without a transfer. The downside is that most states require you to pay each year to register your corporation with the state. Depending on the state, this can be expensive, and it has to be done EVERY year.

While it's always been in the law, in the past 10-15 years, people have been using revocable living trusts to possess their Title II. The upside is, you can also make whomever you wish a trustee, which allows them to possess the Title II. You don't need the prints, pics or sign-off, same as a corporation. Also, for both corporations and trusts, some people like the privacy they afford because your local LEO doesn't get to see EXACTLY what you are getting when you bring in the forms for sign-off The trust doesn't require annual maintenance fees. You can use commonly available software to form your own trust (Quicken Willmaker) or you can pay an attorney to draft one for you.

Downsides to trusts are basically these. In certain states, (MO, for example, but not IN) you have to have some sort of FFL to possess Title II firearms. A C&R is sufficient for this, but the ATF will not issue an FFL to a trust, only an individual or corp. so if you live in one of those states, you can can't own Title II stuff, and you can't travel to one of those states if your stuff is owned by a trust.

Another downside is cost. An attorney-prepared trust can run $200-600. You can do it with the above-mentioned software, but some people don't trust them. I've never seen a case where the Title II firearms were taken from the trust because it was no good though. The only instance I know of, the ATF made someone change their trust to bring it in line with their state laws. The software does a generic trust, and you have to know how state laws govern trusts, because they all do it different.

A trust is a great way to go for those who's CLEO's won't abide by state and local law.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I did look into a self-made trust albeit quickly, as I found multiple references to the atf not honoring the trust due to wording that did not fit their requirements.

That may be the avenue I need to pursue however.

I've got a corporate lawyer in the family, could probably run this by her sometime.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The last sheriff would sign off on MGs, SBRs, and suppressors. I have a friend in Lake that has ALOT of Class III stuff but I don't know about the new sheriff.

The trust route isn't hard either. There are online programs that do it.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    There is an officer from Schererville that is a Title 2 dealer. I have a 22

suppressor for my 10/22 and Sig 220 22 conv. Do a trust. Good luck

Yep Mike Vode is on the Schererville PD and has his class 3 (SOT).

Lake County was signing off last I heard, The Trust is a no brainer, to me it is easier to form a trust than to do the prints and CLEO signature.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    +1 to going the trust route. If you plan on acquiring numerous NFA items a trust is golden. Even if you only purchase a few over an extended period of time it makes it a breeze. That happy-to-sign CLEO may not be in office next year!

However WTTW, don't use an online "willmaker" to set up an NFA Trust. ATF has ruled that just because they approve your form on a trust it doesn't meen the trust is valid. Every state has different rules, and the online will-of-the-week wording is generic, as in not good enough when the potential penalty is 10 years and the national debt of Iberia. They do not adequately define the conditions and rules to your heirs concerning the disposition of trust property upon your demise, potentially putting them in a legal trickbag.
    Use a Trust lawyer in your state who is experienced in setting up NFA Trusts and he will steer you around all the pitfalls. I can readily recommend the firm that set up mine in IN, but I don't know what the rules are on this forum about putting up links,etc. If you want to PM me I'll gladly share the info, or post it once I learn it's OK. I can tell you it will take two phone calls, cost between $400 and $600 and be worth every penny for the peace of mind and the convenience. Remember, there are severe consequences to not doing this right, and it may not be you, but your kids who pay the price.:twocents:

Top Bottom