anyone know rock island armory gi 1911's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I've been looking at a rock island armory 1911 GI 38 super and have read some good reviews but has anyone out there got any reviews on anything of rock island armory?

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I have the basic GI model .45. I really like it and can tell this will not be my last 1911. I can see the sights fine, but I have heard some struggle with the small sights. My shots at the range are consistent first shot fairly accurate, successive shots low, so I am assuming it is I, the Shooter.

I think it is too big for a carry gun, but I got it for what it represents, the American GI. Break in was around 300 rounds.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Have one and like it a lot.
    I did toss the factory magazine and replace it w/ one from Colt, but that's all I've done with it.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I like mine in .45ACP. Trigger take-up is about the only difference I feel in shooting between it and my Kimber. Shoot great, feels great, smells great.

I agree on ditching the factory mag, I don't like the extended baseplate.

clonies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    I have the basic GI model .45. I really like it and can tell this will not be my last 1911. I can see the sights fine, but I have heard some struggle with the small sights. My shots at the range are consistent first shot fairly accurate, successive shots low, so I am assuming it is I, the Shooter.

I think it is too big for a carry gun, but I got it for what it represents, the American GI. Break in was around 300 rounds.

It's somewhat better as a carry gun. The butt part that usually does more of the printing, is rounded off and conceals better. My friend's full size PT 1911 conceals better than my Glock 19.:n00b:

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Lots of reviews; check the manufacturer forums on M1911.org. They're great for what the price, although about the first thing I did to my GI model was to get bigger brighter sights.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I've had my Rock Island GI for about 6 years now,round count 2000-2500...after first 200-300 break-in,and ditching the factory mag for Wilson's..it's 100%reliable....it's my EDC.........can't say enough good things about it!

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    New mags first on the list should have it by thursday and range report by friday.I do reload and dies are on order. I've done alot of reading on the 38 super and why isn't it more polpular it is a great round on paper?

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    It IS a great round, it just never really caught on here. Think of it as a hot 9 mm round, at a time when most people thought 9 mm wasn't enough. (Come to think of it, a lot of people still think that.) Was originally introduced as a higher velocity, flatter shooting round than .45 ACP for law enforcement use, but this was back in the 1930s when law enforcement was all about wheelguns, and right around 1935 the .357 magnum came out and did everything the .38 Super did and did it better. Those who wanted automatics, well, there were a bunch of 1911s out there already in .45 ACP and 9 mm didn't really start catching on until after War II when vets started bring home Lugers and Walther P38s. .38 Super has remained popular for competition shooting and Colt has sold various 1911 models chambered for it since its introduction (which is why it's still around at all), but it's durn near impossible to find commercial ammo off the shelf at your fine local purveyor of brassnlead, as you've no doubt found. Whereas there are - usually - thank god! - all kinds of choices for 9 mm, .40, .45, .357 mag, .38 special....the old standbyes. .38 Super is one of those rounds like .327 Federal Magnum or .41 magnum, one of those solutions to a nonexistent problem.

Top Bottom