Anyone know what this piece of metal is?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought this Traditions ASM made 1873 Colt saa reproduction off a guy on here. The action felt funny to me and the 2nd of the 4 clicks was not audible, but I could feel it. I took the pistol apart to clean it and lube it and see if that helped. This piece of metal was under the leaf spring on the trigger side, ahead of the trigger, near the leaf spring screw. It looked like a spacer or something. Anyway, I put the gun back together with this part installed like i found it and again, no second click sound. I took it apart again and removed this piece and now I have all 4 click sounds.
    I looked at the diagram/exploded view of this revolver and all it's parts and I do not see this part anywhere on any company's diagram. Maybe this was made and put in to lighten the trigger return spring pressure on the trigger? Anyone have any idea? Colt part 1.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used shims in guns to vary flat spring tension, never have seen anything like that.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm pretty sure I took my Reck 22 SA revolver apart recently to Cerakote it and found an extra part inside of it as well. I did not return that part to the Reck revolver and it works perfectly, so maybe a shim? Maybe it's a thing to make a trigger feel lighter.
    So far, I've been inside of only two single action revolvers and with both of them I found an extra part inside. Something that is not on any diagram of either gun. So far as I can tell it's not a part that goes to the gun. So, it must be a home gunsmithing trigger job thingy. It looks and feels like a piece of high speed steel cutter bit for a mini lathe.
    Is there some trick where you shim the trigger return spring to make the return pressure lighter? Is that a thing people do? If so, I guess you can put just about anything inside of there, so long as it's the right size, it'll work.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm pretty sure I took my Reck 22 SA revolver apart recently to Cerakote it and found an extra part inside of it as well. I did not return that part to the Reck revolver and it works perfectly, so maybe a shim? Maybe it's a thing to make a trigger feel lighter.
    So far, I've been inside of only two single action revolvers and with both of them I found an extra part inside. Something that is not on any diagram of either gun. So far as I can tell it's not a part that goes to the gun. So, it must be a home gunsmithing trigger job thingy. It looks and feels like a piece of high speed steel cutter bit for a mini lathe.
    Is there some trick where you shim the trigger return spring to make the return pressure lighter? Is that a thing people do? If so, I guess you can put just about anything inside of there, so long as it's the right size, it'll work.
    Did you buy them both used from the same person?

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    It's either half of a sheared off "Army Accur-izer", the infamous part, without which, no SAA will be accurate, or some kludge jockey thought that dropping random metal parts into the inner workings of a piece of art was a good idea.

You didn't find a 10mm socket inside the gun, did you?

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's either half of a sheared off "Army Accur-izer", the infamous part, without which, no SAA will be accurate, or some kludge jockey thought that dropping random metal parts into the inner workings of a piece of art was a good idea.

You didn't find a 10mm socket inside the gun, did you?
    No sockets found in the gun. If extras are going to be left inside the gun, it would be nice if it were gold or a diamond.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    it could very well be a shim even though it doesnt look like one.

Some duct tape "gunsmith" could have thrown a spare piece he had on hand inside because it just happened to fit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Shims can actually be a good and inexpensive repair. I've fixed two Marlin 1893s with weak hammer springs by shimming.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I just came across something that I had totally forgotten about and may be an answer. I follow Jeff Ault on facebook. He took over for Bob Munden on doing wonderful action jobs on Single Actions. He just had a post about putting a block to help support the bolt in an SAA. I had thought from the start that the semi circle notch on your hunk of metal looked like it was made to go around the bolt or trigger spring. I wonder if this wasn’t something made to replicate that setup.

here’s a link to the post. No idea if it will transfer from there to here or here to there but hopefully it works whether you have a Facebook account or not. If not, I’ll take screen shots of the post and put them up if it would help.

Top Bottom