• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My GI 1911 is a mixmaster. It has a WWI vintage frame/serial number and a Remington Rand slide from WWII. It was my fathers and I enjoy owning and shooting it. If you find one like it at a reasonable price, I wouldn't hesitate to get it unless you are really looking for something more complete (and valuable).

Treel98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2022
    Griffith IN
    OP- that Ithaca looks good to me. It may or may not have a mix of small parts from different 1911 manufacturers, like a ton of these guns do. Some of the books or that website I posted can give you more info on that.

Unless you are in the market for a true collector (if so, get that wallet out!), as you noted, most true GI guns ended up becoming mixmasters just by virtue of armorers and troops swapping out small parts without a second thought during the service life of the gun. Just like with M1 carbines. Probably foxhole buddies stripped down their 1911s and even swapped whole slide assemblies when putting them back together and never thought anything about it. I think it adds to the true historical character of these old guns.

A true GI gun is much more likely to be a mixmaster instead of the very pricey all-matching collector guns that either saw very little use in military service or were painstakingly rebuilt to become all-matching specimens for collecting purpose.
    That's what I'm after honestly I recently got ahold of a M1 Garand from 1940 and want to have a 1911 to match with the gun. I am sure the Garand has been rebuilt. The barrel isn't original but it is period correct and that's about all I'm after. I'm going to watch this one it goes tomorrow so I should know something then.

Top Bottom