• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I've read about it a few times and thinking of trying it. You use a tumbler to molly coat right. Any one have some tips on how to do it and what I need to get started.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Yes, and I have a boat load of moly if you are interested. What I used was an old small rock tumbler, worked great for coating the bullets. There is a lot or at least was a lot of controversy about rust forming under the moly that coats the barrel and other things that I never found myself. I found personally that I was able to push loads harder and that through a great deal of load development was able to really make my Rem 700 in .223 really perform. My only complaint is the stuff (moly) is black grease in dust form, it gets all over you and it seems everything else while you are working with the raw materials.

Anyway you just coat the bullets using a tumbler (put the bullets and the moly in a clean peanut butter jar to keep the tumbler clean) and once coated load them up. A small container filled with #8 shot with moly mixed in makes a great dip if you are just neck sizing cartridges, just dip and resize.

Once you are ready start loading, work up your loads just like you would any other watching for pressure signs and of course accuracy. I found that using the same bullet/powder/primer/case combo I was able to keep groups where I wanted at a higher velocity. There is a break in period needed to coat the barrel. I don't remember right now the procedure but it was something like 3 rounds then swab barrel, repeat X number of times then you should be good to go.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You can get Molybdenum in paste form from a machinist/machine shop and won't need to tumble. PLUS it isn't as messy as the powder.....Also, put a little in your motor oil....engine will last forever, it is the "active" ingredient in motorkote formerly called molykoat and many other additives.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Moly is a fad that has come and gone in the Highpower community.

Folks started encountering a hard ring of carbon/moly? just ahead of the leade that destroyed accuracy. The only way to get it out was scrubbing the bore with JB Bore Paste.

I don't want that stuff floating around in my house for my grandchildren to breathe while they are playing on my carpet.

JMO, of course.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Thanks for the info but do I need to use a special bore solvent after firing molly bullets to protect the broken in barrel? I have a rifle I would like to try it on to see if I get the build up I don't want to scub the molly out of a broken in barrel right?

Top Bottom