Anyone own a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, .357/9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just discovered this revolver recently.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models

My EDC is 9mm (G26, PT 709) and my fun gun/hunting rifle (if I ever get to actually go hunting) is a Marlin 1894 chambered in .357. I was planning on buying a SA .22 revolver for plinking, so I focused on Heritage Arms Rough Rider because it would give cheap ammo for practice.

Heritage Manufacturing - Heritage Manufacturing, Inc

Now that I see the Ruger will handle both my serious firearm calibers I am rethinking the matter. Of course, since the Rough Rider can be had for $150 and the Blackhawk for $550, cost is a consideration. But I am interested in what the :ingo: experts know about the Blackhawk. Is it any good? Worth the extra cash?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I saw one at the 1500 a couple of shows ago. Instantly was put on the must have list. I'll be interested to see what others have to say about them. I just figured if it's a Ruger Single you can't go wrong.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I do not own a convertible, but have seen post on a few forums have been mixed. A few have said the 9mm/357 is a good pistol, and shoots well with both chamberings, and others have had less than stellar performance out of the 9mm cylinder.

I cant see the novelty of it, when the 357 will handle 38 special without changing cylinders, and probably be as accurate or better than the 9mm.

I do own a heritage revolver, and can recommend it to someone who wants a cheap .22 that one can afford to shoot all afternoon. They are rough around the edges, and require a bit of polishing inside to make them run smooth, but for they do shoot straight, and dont seem to be terribly picky about the ammo you feed them.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I own a Blackhawk convertible and it is a pretty slick setup. There are a couple of hiccups with them though that you should be aware of:

357 mag is true .357. 9mm is generally right at .355/.356. Couple this with the big jump from the cartridge to the forcing cone caused by the shorter case and depending on the type of bullet you may have problems with it stabilizing the 9mm's. Mine will stabilize some but keyholes others. My guess is that if you fired unjacketed 9mm it would probably take care of much of the problem but I've never tried it.

Also, the 9mm generally has a point of impact about 10 inches below the .357 at 20 yards.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've also heard of some people not being completely pleased with the 9pm accuracy. Having said that, it's still on my short list, which is ironically long.

Top Bottom