• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have been thinking about getting a 9mm revolver as a B.U.G. I have trying to consolidate calibers and since I have other 9mm, would like to find a revolver of the same size.

I see a few of the S&W on Gunbroker and also some Ruger Blackhawks, but it looks like the Taurus is the only one in the sub $500 range. I have a Taurus .38 Model 85 that is a good one, but have read from others that the quality can be hit or miss. Anyone on this board used the Taurus 9MM revolver? If some, would you recommend it? I know the moon clips are going to be a pain, but with a B.U.G. I think that I could get around that.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not familiar with them....but typical 9mm rounds are rimless and revolvers fire rimmed cartridges...so it seems weird to me...but it wouldn't be hard to machine a cylinder to accept rimless cartridges...IMO, they aren't very popular/well known for some reason...so I would be cautious myself and dig into the internet research on them as much as possible.....I'm not a fan of Taurus...the majority I've ever been around have had problems and being a Brazilian manufacturer and with my experience in industry I simply don't put much faith in their design and engineering standards...IMO

MiCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   1
    Sep 1, 2011
    Camby, IN
    I'm not familiar with them....but typical 9mm rounds are rimless and revolvers fire rimmed cartridges...so it seems weird to me...but it wouldn't be hard to machine a cylinder to accept rimless cartridges...IMO, they aren't very popular/well known for some reason...so I would be cautious myself and dig into the internet research on them as much as possible.....I'm not a fan of Taurus...the majority I've ever been around have had problems and being a Brazilian manufacturer and with my experience in industry I simply don't put much faith in their design and engineering standards...IMO

I believe most revolvers use moon clips for 9mm. I dont know who makes it but i once saw rimmed 9mm. I assume it is for revolvers.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The Blackhawk convertible in 38/357 with the 9mm cylinder are pretty handy to have around.

They aren't difficult to find around, several have sold here for less than the price you mention.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe most revolvers use moon clips for 9mm. I dont know who makes it but i once saw rimmed 9mm. I assume it is for revolvers.

I stand corrected...good to go....I've not seen a rimmed 9mm cartridge...but I have never desired to look either..lol

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    i have a 6.5 BH convertable that works great. Headspaces case mouth on a ridge inside chamber. Recoil is a bit heavier with 9 than standard 38

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I do not own one, but have seen a few and fired a couple. I was pretty impressed with them and can understand the want for one if someone is trying to keep their number of calibers down. Here is a pretty good review by INGO member techres

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/160467-quick_review_9mm_taurus_video_included.html

Thanks for the link John. That answered my question exactly. It looks like the Taurus is an okay piece, but that you have more recoil than a .38 and it can be ammo picky.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm a wheel gun guy at heart.S&W offered briefly the 627 chambered in 38 super. A few shooters bought the S&W 627 chambered in 38 Super and ran 9mm through it. Of course it was desogned for moonclips. The 38 super I beleive you could fire without (they fit the cylnder just right like the 625 with loose 45 acp) but you had to extract them one at a time.

Ruger and S&W made 9mm DA revolvers back in the 80's but they are pricy If you can find them.

The other option is get a L or N frame S&W or Ruger GP and send theb cylnder to Pinnacle guns www.pinnacle-guns.com They will machine the cylnder for 9x23 and you can shoot 9x23, 38 super 9mm
    I'm not sure if there are any current offerings for 9mm revolvers from S&W Ruger etc. Taurus has never been my flavor so not sure about them.

Thats about your only options.

grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    I have a Taurus 905 9mm and like it very much the only problem so far is when using steel cased wolf sometimes hard to get the moon clip and emptys to eject without a little extra nudge. Its the same size as your tuarus 85.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I've owned a few. The first was a S&W 940, nice gun but man it would
    sting..alot. The next one was a Taurus which I belive they still build,
    it wasn't to bad. The last one I owned was a Ruger SP101 in 9MM.
    That little revolver was very comfortable to shoot was easy to control.

:ingo::patriot:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I want a Ruger SP101 in 9mm...3" version...wife loves her G-19 Gen 2...then we can carry the same ammo...important capability...to a point!

Top Bottom