• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I hope to get out and do some teal and early goose hunting on Monday after the weather cools off. I've been seeing fair numbers of local geese, but I haven't had much time to scout for teal. Anyone around been doing any scouting? Any success?

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    wow.........seriously? No duck hunters?

for what it's worth, there are 3 sub species of teal found in N. America, two of those are common to Indiana ( Green wing and blue wing) They are a small dabbling duck, about 1/2 the size of a mallard. If you look in the state hunting regulations, teal season comes in the first of September for 2 weeks then closes and comes back in with the regular waterfowl season in late October. This is due to the fact that teal migrate South earlier than most ducks.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would love to get into waterfowling, but don't have any gear nor anyone to show me the ropes. To answer the OP's question, no, I haven't seen any teal yet this season.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Yeah, waterfowling is kinda like farming, you need to be born into it lol! But, you also don't need to spend a boat load to get started. You most likely already have a shotgun, and some camo clothes. So just buy some steel shot, a few decoys, and start paying attention to where you see ducks and geese feeding in fields and roosting on the water. Check out some of the forums dedicated to waterfowl hunting. Like any other form of hunting, its all about learning technique and getting experience.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Have not seen any but not looking for any either. Give some of the F&WA that have mandatory check ins and see what they killed this weekend. That should give you an idea on what is out and about.:yesway:

I don't know any super dedicated teal hunters and the few that used to post such details on the internet don't give any details due to internet scouting.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'll never forget the first teal I saw headed for the decoys, a greenwing, flying about 147 mph straight at me....thought it would dump in like a mallard, stood up just in time for it to blast right through the decoys and into the next county, MAN they are fast! I never even got the safety off.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Saw 2 groups (looked like a group of 4 and a group of 6) down near Edinburgh on some private property on Monday. Wasn't hunting but will be soon.

Top Bottom