Anyone with dogs that have a dog door???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I am looking for a dog door and I need some info. I am finding the prices from $59 to over $2000. The reviews are all over as well.

Requirements...

I have a Lab, it needs to be a big door.

It is going through an 8"+ wall.

Some kind of weather resistant/insulated door. This is Indiana.

We also have a couple of cats, that we do not want outside. I think a heavier insulated door would work.

I don't want an electric door that cost 2k. I don't want to pay 5 times what a house door costs. Plus the review are very very bad.

Someone has to have one that they are happy with.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Wow that's a pretty long list of wants Brian at the cost your willing to spend.

You might be better with a run that's attached to your garage. Put a doggie door on it so lab and cats are isolated from each other.

There is also the safety issue of a door big enough for a lab is big enough for a person to get in.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I always thought an RFID activated electronic door would be a fun project...
    But I really don't care enough to spend that kind of time... Especially when our dogs ring the bell when they want let out, and bark when they want let back in...

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yeah i don't recommend a doggy door as it can also let other critters in too, parents had one and came home a couple different times once with a possum in the house and once a raccoon. Also its a good invitation for unwanted humans to get in too!!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My friend has an RFID door that I believe was custom. The door is actually plexiglass and it works well afaik. If you want to chat with him about it, pm an email address.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Wow that's a pretty long list of wants Brian at the cost your willing to spend.

You might be better with a run that's attached to your garage. Put a doggie door on it so lab and cats are isolated from each other.

There is also the safety issue of a door big enough for a lab is big enough for a person to get in.

Yep I have thought about those issues also. As far as the garage, it is detached so that is not an option.

I see several $150 doors, but the reviews are just bad.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Yeah i don't recommend a doggy door as it can also let other critters in too, parents had one and came home a couple different times once with a possum in the house and once a raccoon. Also its a good invitation for unwanted humans to get in too!!

Yea I thought about that too... The dog is going into a fenced in yard. So critters getting in are few, I am wondering about chipmunks though. Intruders??? Well if they want to get in, they will one way or another. Then they will have to deal with the dog.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    My friend has an RFID door that I believe was custom. The door is actually plexiglass and it works well afaik. If you want to chat with him about it, pm an email address.

They are not custom, You can order them, But they are in the $1500-2k range. Several problems that are in the reviews. They need power...Eh. Doors that open and close randomly or not open at all. For that kind of problems I have other things to put money on.

BTW I do have a good idea, if anyone is interested. These look like very good quality, and good warrantee, 15 years. The are going for about $500 ouch, but have found better prices at re sellers.

https://www.enduraflap.com/dog-doors-for-walls

Thanks for your help...

Top Bottom