• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    My daughter signed up for the 4H shooting sports in Richmond, IN last week. I've never been involved with 4H before. My wife was in 4H, but they didn't have shooting then. I'm not sure what to expect. Ideas?
    My daughter will be using a scoped Marlin .22 rifle and a Ruger SR22 pistol. She can also borrow my shotguns and other firearms if needed.:ar15:
    She is sooo excited about this!! She's a total gun nut like her dad. I'm so proud!!

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    I am a 4H shooting sports instructor in Kosciusko Co. I was never in 4H myself but being with the program for the last seven years I can say it's a great program. Every county runs theirs a little different but safety is #1. Go with her and participate, you both will have a great time.
    Here in Kosciusko Co. the 4H shooting sports committee provides all the firearms and ammo the kids need. If kids have firearms they'd like to use they are more than welcome to bring them.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My son was in scouts and got his rifle and shotgun merit badges. He went on to become Eagle Scout. These type of clubs are good for the kids and involved parents too.

You may want to check out the Friends of NRA (Friends of NRA - NRA Foundation). They give grants (for ammo, guns) to scouts, 4H, and similar organizations. I used to be involved here in NW IN. The money collected stays in the state and is given as grants to organizations for gun related purchases.Good luck to you and your daughter.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Not 4H, but my son joined up with the youth shooting group at Marion County Fish & Game last summer. They're currently shooting air rifles during the cold months. He is also in scouts, but they require you to be 13 in order to obtain the shooting merit badges, so we have a couple more years before those.
    So far he seems to enjoy it, so we'll keep with it. Great program! And I know one of the instructors is also an instructor for 4H.

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    My son will be 8 yr Shooting Sports Member in Boone County. They had over 450 kids in it last year and it keeps growing. Well worth it.

Make sure you check the rule book for 4H. Everything is age driven and all shooting is done with iron sites and no slings. Pistols are usually reserved for the high school aged members. Your kid will love to shoot and beg you to do more. It's how we got into Appleseed and 3Gun. I know that Ohio has some great shooting sports and do more modern shooting like steel challenge and 3 gun. I wish Indiana would get on that bandwagon. Simple 3 Gun with .22's and 20ga is a lot of fun.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    My son will be 8 yr Shooting Sports Member in Boone County. They had over 450 kids in it last year and it keeps growing. Well worth it.

Make sure you check the rule book for 4H. Everything is age driven and all shooting is done with iron sites and no slings. Pistols are usually reserved for the high school aged members. Your kid will love to shoot and beg you to do more. It's how we got into Appleseed and 3Gun. I know that Ohio has some great shooting sports and do more modern shooting like steel challenge and 3 gun. I wish Indiana would get on that bandwagon. Simple 3 Gun with .22's and 20ga is a lot of fun.

This is what I meant by each county does things differently. 4H shooting sports here is just like the other 4H programs 3 graders and up can do rifle, pistol, muzzleloader, shotgun, or archery. The only thing we require is first year,no matter of age, goes through a beginners course. Beginners course is IN hunters ed class and the kids spend two evenings with each of the shooting disciplines. The second year they can choose any of the disciplines and as many of the as their schedules allow.

As for getting more competition type activities for 4H work with your county to get it going. Apparently in Indiana 4H can only be competitive with animals. When you start talking competitive shooting with the higher up's at Purdue, they get squirrelly. We are planning on working steel challenge into our rifle and pistol disciplines this year. 4H National has a big shooting competition each year as well, we had some kids go check it out a couple years back, said it was really interesting.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My son and I took the Muzzleloader program twice, .22 rifle program twice, archery and air rifle once here in Allen County. My daughter has done the .22 program twice. For both kids I spent my time either working with the kids or cleaning rifles in the off time. I garentee that any help you give will be appreciated!
    To be honest, I have as much fun as the kids.

Top Bottom