• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Where is a good source to purchase apple & pear trees? Prefer in state but maybe lower Michigan or NW Ohio. Anyone interested in a group buy to get bigger trees at a lower price? Prefer group buy located around Fort Wayne area. Recommendations for late bearing fruit to help attract deer when most of farm crops are in?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I looked at some apple trees, pear trees, and even some peach trees at Lowes the other day they were probably 8'-10' tall. They were priced at like 35 dollars. I didnt think that was to bad for Lowes. I have no idea on bigger trees at a better price. I'm wondering if you will be able to do to much better. I have seen Big R put them on sale once in a while in the fall.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I was at Lowes in warsaw last Tuesday evening. No apple,pear, or peach trees. Sales persons(2) even said they had none. Looked all though garden section. I only seen flower & shade trees. Went to Menards & got a couple of Callaway crabapple trees.
    Stark Bros. nursery doesn't give much detail to size of tree when looking online.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would STRONGLY URGE you to select some of the newer varieties that are disease resistant. Varieties like LIBERTY. I grew up with apple trees in the back yard and they are a huge PITA because they need to be sprayed, dusted and constantly maintained.

I have peach, pear, plum and asian pear that I planted on my property now. Ate the last peach early this week! No spraying required. Yes, you can spray, and it does help reduce pests, but even without it you can still manage a fair crop of those fruits. I also have a handful of 'wild' apple trees of unknown origin at the edge of some woods, no way I can begin to maintain them, they've grown way too large and every apple is full of bugs. I leave those for the deer.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    If you find a good deal on some bulk trees, I'd be in for a good deal on some.
    Not sure about group buy clear down in Evansville. Long ways from Fort Wayne. Not sure about shipping twice or splitting shipping 2 ways. How many trees may you be interested in? Can probably also order peach,nectarine,cherry & maybe shade or flower trees. Keep watching thread,you may find a good source here. I'm still looking for a good source, Slow dial-up internet sure takes awhile. Many nurseries in the midwest area.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I would STRONGLY URGE you to select some of the newer varieties that are disease resistant. Varieties like LIBERTY. I grew up with apple trees in the back yard and they are a huge PITA because they need to be sprayed, dusted and constantly maintained.

Liberty may be a good option. Also looking at Black Arkansas & Winesap. These would be late producers & be around when most grain crops are in. Want some for deer But also for family & friends, earlier(mid) producers.

Top Bottom