• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Appleseed in Indiana: Still Looking for Riflemen!

2008 is nearly half over, but there are still many Appleseed Shoots in the region, so that you can share the Appleseed experience with friends and family.

We now have the following Appleseeds, that may be of interest to you.

The RWVA hopes to see you, your friends and family at one of these locations in 2008.

Indiana:
    Wabash June 14-15
    Evansville June 21-22
    Wabash October 18-19

Ohio:
    Gibsonburg August 23-24

Illinois:
    Chillicothe August 30-31
    Ottawa September 6-7

Kentucky:
    Totz June 7-8
    Morehead July 19-20
    Knob Creek October 25-26

You can get the details for each of these locations, confirm dates, and register at The Appleseed Project.

The folks at RWVA are looking forward to seeing you soon.

And A Personal Testimony:

These guys are the real deal and are inexpensive for what they do. Their combining of history with marksmanship is not to be found in any other program. Their zeal for freedom, shooting, and improving each shooter is evident in every event.

If you have not gone to one, go! If you have a reason you cannot go for time, or money, or ammo, whatever, IM me and we can try and make a way. Those of us who have done these and have seen how it change shooters into marksmen are ready to do what we can to get people on the line.

One unique aspect of Appleseed is that it ties our American past to the American present in order to save America's future.

Anyone who has ever whined about the dying shooting community, or loosing the "soft war", or the changes in America that have lead to the AWB, open carry becoming seeming criminal, or the constant harangue that gunowners are marginalized, you need to come and bring a buddy.

If you have said, "What can I do?", the answer is you can do this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Anybody familiar with the Wabash area? Are there hotels nearby? Perhaps a place with an Appleseed group rate? Planning to be there June 14th and need to make the appropriate plans. Hope to meet some of you there.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    All, Here is the link with the hotel and shoot registration info: 2008 Wabash IN Appleseed Information There is no camping at the range at this shoot. If anyone knows of a good campground nearby, let's hear about it. SoundslikeJosh, looking forward to meeting you as well. Start doing some nightly stretches now, make the weekend a little smoother. hawkhavn

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Looks like Knob Creek is just as close for Indy south siders. I-65 is a faster road. October is much more realistic for getting my two 10/22s built up as LTRs.

Have there ever been any Appleseeds in Central Indiana?

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    All, Here is the link with the hotel and shoot registration info: 2008 Wabash IN Appleseed Information There is no camping at the range at this shoot. If anyone knows of a good campground nearby, let's hear about it. SoundslikeJosh, looking forward to meeting you as well. Start doing some nightly stretches now, make the weekend a little smoother. hawkhavn

just north of marion, indiana there is the mississenewa reservoir campgrounds. I cannot think of anywhere else, but that should be less than a 20minute drive to wabash

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    indyjoe,

We just had one at Freedom on April 19th. Second largest in the country for that special weekend.

hawkhavn

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Can someone explain exactly what to expect at an appleseed event?

Is this a class/training event? A competition? Or something else completely?

Why is a bolt action more difficult to use than a Semi Auto? Are the targets timed? Perhaps someone very familiar with the events can post a solid "About Appleseed Events" thread.

Thanks. I have virtually zero rifle experience. I figure this might be a good place to start, but the RWVA site doesn't appear to do a good job of explaining exactly what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    All,

I decided to 'borrow' this from Techres' reply in this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/5237-appleseed_project.html

"I am very involved and have been to a few shoots. Frankly, you will not find better marksmanship training at their price point anywhere. Additionally, no one spends the time to match the skills of marksmanship with American history (specifically how marksmanship was critical in the lead up to and opening battles of the Revolutionary war) with the detail and care that the Appleseed trainers do.

As much as shooters complain about the dwindling body of gun owners and shooters in this country, you would think we would all flock to the opportunity to shoot two days straight and usually even spend the night camping out and chatting by the fire with gun owners from far and near.

Even more, these shoots are attended by men, women, kids of all ages. And frankly, if you have not been to an event where 50 rifles of all caliber open up at the same time on either side of you (down the line), you really have not "been shooting".

Traditional marksmanship, sling use, breathing and body control, history, camaraderie, and tons of gun owners hanging out, it is a blast.

And they charge next to nothing. And if you do not have a rifle, they will even find one to loan you. Bring whatever you have. Last shoot the guy on the left had a bolt action K-31, the guy on my right had an M1A, the guy beyond him had a lever action .22, and I had my AR.

IF you have not been to one, go. If you have, go again. The Appleseeders are convinced that the only way to bring back the body of American shooters that are going to be involved in shooting, and politics, is to get shooters out there, having fun, getting skilled, and knowing the history behind them so we can keep it all in the future."

So no it's not competition, it's training. It's rifle instruction at the fundamental level. You are taught how to shoot from prone, sitting/kneeling and standing. How to use a sling, how to find your natural point of aim, the six steps to firing a shot, breath control and a whole lot more.

The stages are timed, that is why a semi-auto with detachable mags is recommended. That being said, shooter's bring every rifle under the sun and shoot with them. You can use iron sights or scopes. Most of the shooting is done at 25 m so we don't spend all day running to a distant target and back.

It is excellent training for a new shooter, experienced shooters all tell us that they have learned something of value. Shotgun News did an article back in April as did SWAT magazine, we are on the cover of Small Arms Review this month.

I just checked and there are 22 threads mentioning the Appleseed program here on INGO, here is the link to the Freedom shoot in April, page 5 with their comments:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ifle_training_april_19_2008_freedom_in-5.html

Please post any other questions/concerns/comments about the program and we will get the info to you.

hawkhavn
    RWVA Instructor and IN State Coordinator

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    OK, I'll try as I am still on the roll as an instructor

Bottom line 2 days of instruction
    Teaching you
    3 basic firing positions and the 6 steps of firing the shot
    Really good instruction for all ages and skill levels

Don't blow this off I've had Military & Police instructors walk away from shoots I've been on telling us they learned more from us in 2 days than in years in Military & other arenas

Here are the FAQ's
    and here is a god link to applseed
    http://appleseedinfo.org/

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Project Appleseed?
    It's a program designed to train people in basic rifle marksmanship using rack-grade rifles and surplus ball ammo; as well as a program to revitalize the tradition of the Rifleman. Once you become a Rifleman, you'll be able to, with an iron-sighted rack-grade rifle, make head shots at 250 yards, and body hits at 500 yards — all as a result of the 25m marksmanship training you'll receive at an Appleseed shoot, followed by battlesight zeroing at 300 yards.
    Why "Appleseed?"
    "Appleseed" comes from Johnny Appleseed, the American folk hero who toured the country, planting appleseeds so that future generations would benefit.
    Why the "Nationwide Tour?"
    Likewise, our crew will travel America planting the seeds of basic rifle marksmanship, so that future generations will benefit.
    What's your real agenda?
    We seek to do three things: teach marksmanship and respect for the tradition of such, and to preserve the knowledge of our Revolutionary War history. That's all we're about, plain and simple. We believe that if we teach it, it'll wake our fellow Americans...and an awake America is an America that cannot be defeated. We want freedom to ring strong. We want Lady Liberty to be safe.
    Marksmanship means more than accurate shooting. It means a love of liberty, a respect for our forefathers, and an acknowledgement of the debt of honor we owe to them. We believe this debt can never fully be paid back, but we believe that by keeping the faith and passing our teachings on it will certainly reflect our ability to pay what we can.
    What kind of rifle do I need? What kind of sights are allowed?
    Appleseed is content-free, so in regards to sights: you can use any. Rifles? Well, you can use any safe firearm which can be accurately shot from the shoulder, from a .22 to a .32 (8mm). We're semi-auto and bolt-gun friendly. The important thing is that it works, so before you come to a shoot make sure you clean it, break it in (if need be), and lube it properly in preparation for the day.
    What caliber is best?
    In a nutshell: they all are. Appleseed is not caliber-specific. It doesn't matter to us if you use .308, .30-06, .223, 7.62x39, 8mm, .303 — they're all fine. Marksmanship and caliber are independent of each other. If you're a good marksman, you'll be able to hit with any caliber. So, if you have an AR-15 or SKS, please feel free to join us. And when you bring your kids (up to age 20 shoots free) .22 rimfire is fine.
    Why military rifles?
    Because they're fast and easy to reload. But if you have a hunting rifle, that's great too. Just be sure to practice loading it fast!
    Do I need a sling?
    Yes.
    Can I use a bipod?
    No. We teach a basic driving class, so we want you to learn to drive stick shift — that means with a sling, not a bipod. We also encourage you to use iron sights, but optics are okay.
    Do I need a shooting jacket?
    No. We do, however, encourage you to invest in a cheap cloth shooting jacket, like the USMC-type found at www.fredsm14stocks.com, so you have elbow pads, plus a pad on the upper sling arm to dampen heartbeat.
    It is not required, but we believe it's certainly worth the investment — especially when you also get the Guide and AQT targets as part of the package. It's well worth it. Take it from Fred.
    Do you have a checklist of things to do in preparation?
    Yes. Click here and you'll find several articles of interest. We encourage you to show up prepared: rifle cleaned and lubed, and fully broken in (a few hundred rounds having been fired with it).
    Hey Fred, I've got a friend who's not on the Internet...can they still sign up?
    Of course! Simply send a check with a long SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) for $45 (1-day) or $70 (both days) to:
    RWVA
    PO Box 756
    Ramseur, NC 27316
    Is that all it's about? Learning to shoot?
    Our purpose is to teach you to shoot a rifle, like your forebears. But more than that, the veterans of the Revolutionary War want you to understand the necessity of teaching others to shoot. We want you to be able to go back home and get others shooting "for God and Country," as they say. And we want you to do it stimulated, encouraged and inspired because of your attendence at one of our shoots.
    Did you say "basic" class?
    Yes, we did. But our definition of "basic" supercede's others' definition of the same word. If you persist in practice, you will be able to make head shots at 250 yards, and body hits at 500 yards — a basic feat for our forefathers. And you'll be able to do it using iron sights and a rack-grade rifle!
    Does coming to an Appleseed shoot qualify as the marksmanship activity I need in order to obtain a CMP M1 Garand or 1903A3 rifle?
    Yes. So, if you'd like to get a real piece of history, while at the same time learning to shoot it, sign up for an Appleseed shoot. While you're at it, sign up for a $20 associate RWVA membership to support Appleseed (and meet the CMP-club membership requirement).
    Can I sign up and be squadded with my buddies?
    Of course you can. You can even be squadded up with your Internet buddies that you've never actually met. If you are NoR or FALfiles, or any Internet group, simply put the info on your application, and we'll put you together on the line. So get together on the Net with your Internet buddies, get everyone fired up to come, tell 'em to mark their apps, and be confident that we'll make sure you'll have them on your left and right sides when the firing starts!
    How far ahead can I sign up?
    As far ahead as you want. You can sign up for an event in your state before an official event is scheduled. Your registration, entered on a computer, is safe with us.
    Should I practice before I come?
    It would definitely be a good idea to zero your rifle 3" high at 100 yards, then clean and lubricate it before your Appleseed. It would also be a good idea to get in the prone position at home, and dry-fire 10 "shots" 3 times a week to stretch your body out. That'd be one less thing to worry about on the day of the shoot.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    What to expect? <- Great Question!

A brief synopsis of my first Appleseed:

I showed up with a line of cars and guys & gals with red hats checked me in and handed me a packet with training info and targets. I pulled into a parking area and was asked to leave the rifles in the car until the safety briefing was over. In the meanwhile, I hung out with a bunch of shooters I had never met before talking about gun geek stuff.

Soon enough, we were huddled together for a brief safety meeting and then told to get our stuff to the line. So I slogged my gear and a rifle to the line (which was up a big hill). Thankfully, some nice guy saw me dragging my heavy ammo box and tossed it on an ATV and saved me some sweat (turned out to be the landowner).

Once we all got places on the line which was simply a line drawn in grass, and we got our mats placed, we got together in a big huddle and heard talk about the time just preceeding the opening skirmishes of the Revolutionary War. (The history was done well and tory telling compelling).

Then we fired the first target to see how good we were. People were surprised in many directions. I was better than I feared, worse than I bragged.

Then came a series of practices mixed with breaks for stories about the first two days of the War. We learned about zeroing a rifle with one five round targetting set. Then we learned about shooting positions (prone, standing, sitting, alternate sitting for fat shooters like me, kneeling). Sling use was taught. All the time we shot sets to implement what we had learned. And over and over we heard more snippits of what was happening on that first day to our ancestors.

Then we took a lunch for an hour which ticked me off because I travelled three hours to satisfy my love of shooting. I could satisfy my love of eating well enough at home! :lmfao:

After lunch we did more shooting and more history. The typical round of shooting includes 4 strings. The first is done standing, the second you have to start standing and transition into sitting, the third you have to transition from standing to prone, and the last is just prone. Magazine changes and time limits were involved.

At every part instructors walked the line giving individual help and encouragement. Oh, and more history from that first day.

That night we camped over and had great conversations around the fire. however, we also got hit by a torrential rain with wind that broke one guys tent and made my life interesting. But a "rifleman" endures (or at least an ex-boyscout does).

The next day had more shooting and less training. But plenty of history about the second day of the war which you have to hear in person.

The goal of the day was to achieve "rifleman" by shooting 210 on the AQT. I did not get there, but neither did the guy next to me who was at his third shoot so I felt better. On the other hand the lady who was shooting with her husband for the FIRST FRIGGIN TIME shot 215 and proved that either (1) God hates husbands, or (2) experienced shooters cannot listen to instructions. More likely she was better because she lacked the need to overcome a beer belly in the sitting position...

Anyways, at the end of the day my only complaint was that we stopped shooting. The collective, "Awww mannnn...." from the line was palpable.

As for my best memories of the event? The history, the sounds of 50 rifles firing at once, good instructions, people helping each other, and a great excuse to burn up 350 rounds of .223 in one weekend.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My After Action Report:

It was hot, very hot, but at least it was not dusty like the Minerva shoot in Ohio. We had 38 shooters on the first day and 24 on the second. 4 People made rifleman, and a dozen of the shooters were under the age of 21. One of the riflemen was 17!!! :shock:

We had women in large numbers aging from teens through grandmas. The one grandma came on her own initiative having missed shooting with her family as a kid. And .22lr's were more than 50% of the field, with a strange hodgepodge of others (including a really killer finnish mosin, a .270 bolt, and some lever actions).

I have put up a photobucket picture montage from the shoot here (to save download rates here - I could post them all if people want):

The link for Photobucket is here:

Wabash Appleseed June 2008

Highlights include our leaders (which Ohio Appleseeders should Recognize):
    05_train2.jpg

Shooters:
    17_leftieladies.jpg

And More:
    01_flags.jpg

I am beaming proud that I finally got a rifleman score and will hopefully soon move on to the path of instructing. I do not mean to gloat at all, instead just say that all the practice finally paid off.

I did not get a good picture of my rifle or target that I rifleman'ed on that day, but I did tonight:

rifleman1_s.jpg

Between me and it, we got some very nice groups:

rifleman2_s.jpg

The only problems that I had with it were:

1. It was very front heavy. It is much harder to shoot standing than my M4gery AR.
    2. The whole thing would quickly heat up in sunlight until it was capable of burning flesh. I spent alot of time water cooling it with drinking water in between strings and then covering it with a white towel. Next time I will bring compressed air to the range.

All in all it was a very fun weekend, and I finally got over the rifleman hump I have been seeking for 2 years now. As always, I learned more history, and more marksmanship and am a better man for it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, techres is a hard act to follow, but I figured I would share a few thoughts about my experience this past weekend in Wabash.

1) $70 for a 2 day event, shooting and history. A better bargain cannot be had. And don't whine about the price of gas. It is still a bargain.

2) Under age 21 shoots free. Did I mention under 21 shoots free? Find all the impressionable youth you can and take them for a history lesson, lest they vote this November and make a terrible, irreversible decision.

3) If you are taking a new shooter, do what you can to help them succeed and help them to have realistic expectations. If they have vision issues, put a scope on. I went there without a scope installed because I understood it to be an iron-sight event, but that is only partially true. If a new shooter is not somewhat successful, they are much less likely to stick with it. Also, make sure they understand that marksman or sharpshooter is a milestone for a newbie. Rifleman are not born that way but become proficient through training.

There are many more good things to say about the program, and many have already been said on this board. The instruction is well refined and each shooter will be given individual attention in proportion to their need.

As a parting thought,
    The economy is not in good shape now. Let's not dwell on it. Prioritize what you do with your disposable income. I don't like paying $4 a gallon but I figured that it was worth the money to go to this shoot. IT WAS! And on the bright side, .22 ammo is cheap, and if you are taking anyone under 21 there is no course fee. THIS IS THE FINAL STEP- PLANT THE SEED. TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU. TAKE AS MANY AS WILL FIT IN YOUR CAR.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Josh,

Techres is a hard act to follow and I am sure he is going to make a great Appleseed Instructor. Thanks for coming out and bringing a friend, hopefully you can make the full weekend next time!

Knowing in advance what an Appleseed is like is hard to describe to most people. Once someone has gone and seen what it is all about, we find very receptive hearts and minds. You're already doing great at the 7th step!

BTW, remember that there are lots of ways to help the program other than being an instructor or until you do become an instructor. Any questions, shout out.

hawkhavn

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Josh,

Your point is superb! As we approach the autumn Appleseeds we need to get a carpooling caravan going. Indiana is full of shooters and potential shooters. Bloomington itself is full of Ron Paul youth who need to exercise their 2nd Ammendment rights as just one example.

On a personal note, did I manage get you or your guest in any of the pics? Was that your guest with the lever 22? If so, I have fuller sized copies of the posted pics I could email you if desired.

And as far as a tough act to follow, Fred, Hawkhvn, and the others who travel states away to run shoots month after month, are the tough act to follow. The kid who Rifleman'ed at his FIRST shoot was also a tough act to follow. It took me many more than that and some serious time on the bedroom floor when the wife was not looking.

And as they say "If they can get something through my hard head, then my wife would love to know how they did it!" :lmfao:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Campgrounds nearby in Wabash:

Wabash RV park (across from the sewage plant, not an ideal location.)

Hominy Ridge at Salamonie (primitive)

Salamonie (Class A, showers and electric, no sewage or water hookup)

Mississenewa (Full hookups - water, sewage, electric, public showers.)

I like Salamonie best for RV camping and Hominy Ridge best for primitive.

I missed the June shoots; we'll see what Oct looks like.

Josh <><

Top Bottom