• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    DAY 2 – Elwood Conservation Club

BTW – if you're NE of Indy – and want a 'club – range' to join – this is a GREAT place – and growing range!

OK well start off w/ IT IS TIME to Shoot some Regulars … errr Redcoats -
    Posted across “The Green” (it started green; ended more 'brown' -hehe) :
    20150315_092739_zpsmlzqpoq2.jpg

My Target – ugh. But better than day 1, I think …
    20150315_094049_zpsvcsa2a3f.jpg

Last 3 sighters – OK – feelin' good:
    20150315_102748_zpsd1gh8w9o.jpg

I heard asked - “DO YOU EVEN NPOA BRO?” once
    Some NPOA shift Practice … I thought I heard 'cease fire' as I readied 2nd shot but no … lost NPOA. (and yanked 1 – but called it)
    20150315_103911_zpsnhcaeg3b.jpg

Then 2 morning AQT's: - 160 (eek!! what? who? not me! Oh drat!) Followed by 208 (dang it – 1 shot!!)
    20150315_120804_zpsgng6zdxx.jpg

Lunch – 1 new rifleman (sorry I missed lots of names) – I think we all got in our “Rifleman's Bubble” early – BTW – I am posting all the “EPIC” (up / left) poses … for the ‘drama’ LOL.
    20150315_121110_zpsrtawmeng.jpg

TJ talking about Dangerous Old Men:
    FB_IMG_1426436189025_zpsteaiclpy.jpg

Lone Star 6 Tells us about Dangerous Women (young and old)
    20150315_123236_zps0vpgk2qf.jpg

After lunch (plus a few Tums / Rolaids for me) my acid reflux kicks in and seems to mess me up in prone – I just said relax and let go. I felt like I shot this like complete junk – but 194 … what? Me? OK. Meanwhile while that was being scored so we could keep moving … I shot this:
    20150315_140020_zpswacggwif.jpg

Other scored as well – even better: More Patches! New Riflemen!!!! (Throughout the day)
    20150315_135737_zpsxzpvtitd.jpg

20150315_152950_zpsrzetn0sp.jpg

Oh – and this clown:
    20150315_135930_zpsczpw3gfv.jpg

I think there was 1 more but I missed a picture AND I was bad as to not get everyone’s names

After claiming my long awaited status as a rifleman – I was wound up – and new it would do me in to try to follow it up immediately … my head was still going yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Kind of like when I you tag your first deer, big Cheshire Cat Grin and all … so I did the next AQT

L E F T H A N D E D … and stank – except for the first / Standing stage.
    This is is the only way I’ve shot left handed before. I think there is potential and will probably try to work on this more. WHY? Because it reinforces the learning, and the techniques of the steady hold factors and NPOA. And I like a challenge.

Standing 41
    Transition Sitting: 23
    Transition Prone 0
    Prone: 7 x 2 = 14 … yuck. – Time To Learn –
    . . . . . . . . TOTAL = 88

Last AQT of the day (back to right handed) was only fair 202.
    BUT what I’ve heard from others about being relaxed after you shoot your first rifleman score – IS QUITE TRUE. I smoked through the transition rounds done well ahead of the time limit. I was far more relaxed this time than ever before.

It helped that this round / AQT had no failures to feed – which PLAGUED me throughout the day. So much that 1 stage 4 (prone) – I had to mess w/ the bolt and action EVERY SINGLE SHOT – and I nearly called me for time; I was last one shooting and the Line Boss thought I was done when I pulled the mag to fix / feed the next round right. I was much more focused and shot almost well enough.

Since I twisted (sorta kinda) Matt H.’s (HFB) arm into showing up – or “enabled” him … He was hanging just at 205 to 209 all day … he needs to get his head out of the way. Had ‘count’ screw ups on these two AQT’s or he had it. “How many holes are where” matters. That did him in, at least twice.
    20150315_160741_zpsrc27kuj8.jpg

I know he’ll get it done.

We did a little Team “Dueling Redcoats” –
    Rules 1) 13 rounds each; 2) Cleared target (3 shot each + 1 headshot) to count; 3) time limit 2 minutes; 4) most HITS wins. Since having learned to “speak up” I somehow took / was put in charge … 7 guys per team so we put guys to get the minimum hits per target by who felt best at hitting them; 1 guy called cleared targets – then rest of rounds went to standing / stage 1 to get as many hits as possible. It seemed to work – we won – both attempts. The 2nd go round the other team adopted a similar strategy – and it was CLOSE (60 to 56 IIRC)

First run Dueling Targets (I didn’t get to get a photo of 2nd set):
    20150315_153138_zpseo5mn4ym.jpg

Winning Team w/ our RWVA Patches – (cool swag!!!)
    20150315_153406_zpsnzjrduqw.jpg

Final Redcoat AND
    Shoot Boss TJ brought his U.S. Rifle, .30 caliber, M1 Garand; so 10 of us took turns shooting 1 clip apiece (yes it loads from a clip!)
    Final Redcoat Left – M1 Redcoat Right – along with the patchs and such.
    20150315_223154_zps89hf0wba.jpg

Some CLOWN thinks he can help instruct … well I hope he can … just keep him away from being dramatic. … and make sure he sticks to the story – or it might take as long to tell as it did to live it – so they let him (cough me cough) have an orange hat:
    20150315_165523_zpsufiduwhp.jpg

Conclusion / Follow up
    When I started this path – I wanted to do it using “my own stuff” so I knew I could do it with what I had. And now, I made it – with my 38 year old Marlin that is my first gun I got when I was 9; wearing its $30 wally world Tasco 3x-9x scope (I won’t buy another tasco like this; AA Optics and Vortex is where it is at; and they support Appleseed!) but it is better than the irons which never stayed set in the same spot and had no adjustment. The only 2 changes I made (during this journey) were consistently using CCI ammo that I found worked best and most reliably, and adding a proper sling in place of a luggage strap.

Rifle, Patches, my AWESOME new hat, and the AQT that got me over it.

Also – this last picture is a link to the whole folder where all the pictures are. I may even have a few more to add.

Top Bottom