• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwh79

Expert
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I am not around home right now but will post some pics of my Appleseed rifles this weekend. I wanted to start this thread as I love seeing the ar-15 show and tell as well as the long distance guns and thought this would be neat to see. Also thought would be a good place for us to share our thoughts and feelings on what works for us in building/ using these Appleseed rifles for our enjoyment and learning.

i have three Appleseed rifles at this time one for each of my family members to use. One is my 11 year old daughters and then I have two that either I will use or maybe my wife if I can get her out to one. All three are ruger 10/22 based. They all three have factory standard barrels which no bull barrels at this time. From my experience all three of them can put out some great groups at 25 yards. All of them have extended mag releases. Two are tactical solutions extended mag releases and one is a ruger factory extended mag release. They all three have the auto bolt release as well. I use the GI slings sold through the Project Appleseed website. I have scope on all three to help me to better see the targets. I have found this helps with me seeing my faults more clearly in my technique as I see how my improper methods cause issues with the sights being in the right place. Particularly with my NPOA issues. On my rifle I have also changed out the hammer, sear, rear pin, extractor, & firing pin. I noticed after changing out the hammer and sear the reset on the trigger is now longer and I prefer it to be a little shorter as it was from the factory. Also mine has the hogue stock where the other two wear factory carbine furniture.

well I hope others share and we can see the fun little guns and help each other learn. I have enjoyed parts changing on my 10/22's and my AR's.

warthog

Shooter
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    main.php

Appleseed Ready 10/22

Last edited:

dwh79

Expert
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I have a set of tech sights for a 10/22 but I have not installed them yet. I need to do that. Once I get the mechanics down and score 210 with a scopes rifle I am thinking of then working with a 10/22 and tech sites. I hated the ruger sights for distance shots as I just can't see them well with my eyes.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I don't have a picture of the rifle known as "Huff's Rifle" but I will describe it and you can picture it in your mind.

First, it's not my rifle. It's Malea's, and those really in the know call it that. Picture a stock 10-22 in the carbine model. It has old style Tech-Sights. It has a USGI loop sling. It has a birch stock. The stock has been stripped and coated with flat ting oil. This is because, after years of serious use, the finish on the stock had dissolved from the sweat of a 115 pound brunette's dry firing regimen and dozens of afternoons in the hands of people I've never met before. In three places the stock was discolored by the sweat nearly beyond the ability to hide. These were the port side comb of the stock, the palm and thumb position on the wrist for a right hand shooter, and the forearm behind the sling swivel. Hours of stripping and mineral spirits baths could not fully remove this. The barrel had lost it's finish where a relaxed left hand had its fingertips in contact with it. The barrel itself has some minor rust and somewhere north of 30k rounds through it. It is in possession of stock trigger components worn to a crisp 6 pounds by said firings and dry firings. The metal components, worn from heavy use, were completely stripped and cerakoted by a true Rifleman. It's color is now "Ferserious Flat Black" or "the color Camaros look best in" as it's colloquially known. It's been dropped numerous times. Once so hard it's service life was feared for, nearly brining tears to the eyes of several people not its owner, but it carried on faithfully. It's taught several children how to shoot and by several I mean several dozen. It loves the rain. It gives no f@&?$ for weather. It feels right. It eats anything. No fu@&$ for ammo are given. It makes Riflemen. It's not for sale.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just keep it simple. All-Weather 10/22 straight from the box with a basic Barska scope and USGI sling from the Appleseed store.

attachment.php

I did not qualify on my first Appleseed, but it was not the fault of the equipment. I could get 1-2"groups at 100yds, and better at 25 yards. No need to upgrade the equipment until I am able to do my part consistently.

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    I put together an ultralite 10/22 for my youngest son who will be joining me at Appleseed events this year.

Its a 10/22 anniversary appleseed rifle with a factory taper lightweight Beyer barrel and a Tasco rimfire scope. I expect it to get beat up so i wrapped it in camo Rem Wrap. Weighs in at 3.7 pounds.

16091883608_331df695bd_c.jpg

Last edited:

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    They've all been on the Appleseed firing line at some point:

o2333oR.jpg

Marlin 795 LTR, Tech Sights
    Savage FV-SR, Boyd's Stock, Primary Arms 4-14 FFP Mil/Mil
    AR15, Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    I gave up on the 10/22 takedown that I was using last year. This is my rifle for upcoming appleseed events.

10/22 Tacsol barrel and Weaver RV9-AO scope in a Hogue stock.

16279410705_c938c9a2f6_c.jpg

16278554142_3f8e94923b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Cable

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2012
    This is for my 14yo son who qualified as Rifleman during the KD shoot at Atterbury last october. All iron sights for him this year.

M&P 15-22 with good ol carry handle iron sights. I replaced the trigger with a RRA match trigger to lighten the trigger pull.

16277603751_8427f14d8e_c.jpg

indychad

Marksman
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Range ready. Now I hope that I am. My sons first time shooting a firearm was with this .22 about 3 weeks ago. I guess now its his and I'll take care of it for him until he knows it's his. I'm looking forward to my first Appleseed and also to when he and I can shoot together, at the same time.
    F1C5FA40-7988-4F74-A973-245507E852B0_zpsjqptml23.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

indychad

Marksman
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Well, if anyone has info. on it I too would appreciate it. I do know this. The scope is a Bushnell 4x made in Japan that came off my fathers .270. The .270 was bought new in the early 70's and the scope was on it as long as I can remember. I can't find anything about it in the old interweb. It was in the safe and needed to be mounted on something and this build came along. I will post more pics when I get home.

Last edited:

indychad

Marksman
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Ok, I have a memory like a goldfish. On the side it has, Bushnell Custom DM 4x. I didn't remember it having any markings.

Top Bottom