• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am planning to take my Christmas money and save it for another gun. I am considering an AR-15 and would like to know how hard it is to install a quad rail. It would be a must have upgrade for me and have no idea how hard it is to do.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    depends which one you get, some are as easy as removing the hand guards and putting on new "quad rail" hand guards. took me about 3 min without and tools.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    There is basically two types of Quad Rails. They come in either Drop In as they replace the standard handguards. Then there is the Free Float style, they typically require disassemble of the barrel and installation of a new style barrel nut and removal of the Front Sight Base if one is on the rifle. There is many different styles of Free Float Quad Rails out on the market from cheap to expensive.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am planning to take my Christmas money and save it for another gun. I am considering an AR-15 and would like to know how hard it is to install a quad rail. It would be a must have upgrade for me and have no idea how hard it is to do.

Depends on the rail. Several manufacturers offer rail systems that are direct replacements for the plastic handguards. They will not free-float the barrel, but will be easy to install, lock up nice and tight, and give you lots of rail estate for mounting grips, slings, lights, lasers, etc.

If you want a rail that free-floats the barrel, installation gets incrementally more difficult, depending on the make/model of the system. None of them are rocket science, but some do require specific tools.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    To sum up, as long as you're not talking about free-floated rails, without the grip removal tool probably a few minutes. Better if you've got help. Without the tool, its about a three to four hand job.

With the tool, it can be done in a few seconds. If you're planning on switching back and forth now and then, get the tool.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I have a couple of the MI drop in rails and they work great for what I use them for and their intended purpose. Im not mounting optics on the rails since I run ACOGs and they are back on the receiver.

As others stated, these drop in just like the factory handguards.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It would be a must have upgrade for me

Yep, without a quad rail how else can you get all those needed accessories on your rifle...

ZapSnap_098.png

Seriously tho a forend tool makes changing a snap as long as you don't want to go with a free float tube forend...

ProMag Handguard Removal Tool AR-15 Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Yep, without a quad rail how else can you get all those needed accessories on your rifle...

ZapSnap_098.png

Seriously tho a forend tool makes changing a snap as long as you don't want to go with a free float tube forend...

ProMag Handguard Removal Tool AR-15 Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA

OMG!! every wannabe operator and mall ninja will have this made into a poster and use it as a pictorial build guide!!! LOL
    Or is this just the way someone stores all their spare AR stuff?

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    If you decide to go with a free-float handguard, are willing to come to Evansville, and need some help installing it, you can contact me and we can get together. I have all the tools and have installed more than a few of them.

shoot2thrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Brownsburg

When I built my AR I picked up a complete upper kit that was pre-assembled with the barrel already free-floated. It takes alot of the extra work outta building. Like mentioned, though, if your gonna switch back and forth, free floating isn't the way to go.

So i guess the question that comes back to you is.....which mounting method are you considering???

It seems to be all the rage, but building with a complete kit MINUS the stripped lower was the best way for me to go....might wanna check that out!!:)

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Since you're asking this question, I assume that you don't have the tools or knowledge to install a free float tube. You're best option would be to start with one of the excellent drop in kits such as DD, Troy, or Midwest. You can install any of these with no problem. I personally prefer the DD Omega drop in over anything else I've had, including free float. The other option, as has been offered, would be to have someone install a free float tube for you.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I also prefer Daniel Defense, Troy, used Knights, or Midwest. Yankee Hill Machine can be heavy but are rock solid. Drop in rails are good to start out with while figuring out what you are going to hang on your rifle. Free Float rails are great for enhancing accuracy.

Stay away from UTG. Overpriced chi-comm air-soft poop.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    The AR-15 is unlimited in the type of stuff that you can mount on it.
    Unless you are just wanting the experience of assembling your own upper good or bad.
    Why don't you buy a complete lower, and a upper built with the upgrades you want?
    In the long run it could be cheaper, having a gun assembled by a professional,
    warranted by the builder, without any misfitting parts or striped screws.

Top Bottom