• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tazl3oy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    zionsville
    1st of if this has allready been posted sorry the search bar isn't working for me

I'm new to all of this so this might be a newbie thing if so sorry just trying to find out b4 jumping into it...

But why do you guys build them vs buying is it cheaper at the end or is it just a lets spread out time of spending $ or is it just a build it yourself so you can have it your way
    only reason I ask is that I'm thinking about buying or building anither ar
    I would guess there not that bad to put together
    Ps do you guys build it screw by screw or buy a complete upper then complete lower then slap the too together??

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    At this point in time I don't think it's much cheaper to build one, maybe a little bit. It does let you spread out the cost over time, granted you can wait that long to finish it! And as far as myself I build the lower and get a complete upper, but that's just me. ;)

1st of if this has allready been posted sorry the search bar isn't working for me

I'm new to all of this so this might be a newbie thing if so sorry just trying to find out b4 jumping into it...

But why do you guys build them vs buying is it cheaper at the end or is it just a lets spread out time of spending $ or is it just a build it yourself so you can have it your way
    only reason I ask is that I'm thinking about buying or building anither ar
    I would guess there not that bad to put together
    Ps do you guys build it screw by screw or buy a complete upper then complete lower then slap the too together??

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you are truly a "newbie", just buy a complete rifle and learn to shoot it. Then if you decide later to build one, you have your first rifle as a guide.

Building AR's is not difficult and because you are smart enough to even ask the question, just buy a rifle and be done with it. You have to have a rifle now, not sometime in the future.

I will say it again. The clock is ticking. You need a rifle now.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    It’s an AR-15. It’s never “cheaper in the end”.

If you are going to buy one and then put a bunch of add-ons / upgrades on it, then you may be better off building one. Building an AR-15 also let’s you control the rifle down to every exact detail.

If you want a plain jane model, then you may be better off just buying one.

I’ve always heard, “Buy the first, build the rest”.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I build vs buy for a couple reasons.
    1. Personal satisfaction.
    2. I just like to work on and tinker with things. Guns, computers, cars, etc. I do think it is cheaper to put together a quality AR than to buy one.
    3. Kind of like you said you can get what you want and yes you can spread out the cost.

They are easy to build even the upper is not difficult. Just like anything else though you get what you pay for when you buy components.

Sometimes though it is harder to sell a home build than a factory gun, that can be a downside. :twocents:

tazl3oy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    zionsville
    I forgot to say that I allrdy have my 1st bought iv somewhat played with. It as far as taking it apart but I I just seen the ssar stock and I want one so I was thinking about building...
    I see the point of resale but 2 tell ya the truth if I'm gonna sell anything its not gonna b my verry 1st build

Last edited:

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I bought my first AR which is an RRA. I want to build my one I'm starting on now just so I can spread out the cost and I can get exactly what I want. I'm also going to SBR this one so there is no point in buying a complete rifle and changing the upper after I get it registered.

JiNx0036

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Michigan City
    It's cheaper to buy a complete depending on the manufacture but as others have said, building is the way to go. I've just bought my upper parts to complete by first AR.

Building your own means you can customize everything to what you want and you get to learn your rifle inside and out.

The cost of my parts is just under $1200 and that's with a few good deals thrown into the mix. There's so many options on how you can build your rifle, so just get a list of all the parts you need and have fun looking for those good deals.

Youtube is a great place to learn how to and what you'll need to build your own.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    It’s an AR-15. It’s never “cheaper in the end”.

If you want a plain jane model, then you may be better off just buying one.

I bought my first. It was professionally built and has factory warranty. I will be building from here on. Shooting the first (a lot) will give you a for sure opinion of what you want in the next one...or two....or....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

I bought my first. It was professionally built and has factory warranty. I will be building from here on. Shooting the first (a lot) will give you a for sure opinion of what you want in the next one...or two....or....

These. :yesway:

Building offers the advantage of being able to space out the purchase over time, as well as ensuring that you get exactly the parts you want, without having to pay for stuff you're just going to replace. But the first time out, you may "not know what you don't know," so buying a complete rifle and learning it will give you a better foundation of knowledge and experience for when you do decide to build one yourself.

My :twocents:

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Got rid of my AR cuz its to easy to pump a lot of money (ammo) down range quick, will stick with a bolt action until i win the lottery.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    I built my first. I built a very basic rifle (stripped lower and complete upper) with nothing fancy and saved a little bit vs. buying it complete. I like to put things together myself, so it was worth the time for me to learn and enjoy it. I did have a small problem with the trigger reset that I had to correct which forced me to really learn what the function on the components were rather than just assemble it from a procedure someone else put together. In that respect, I would say a learned a lot more than just buying it complete.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    These. :yesway:

Building offers the advantage of being able to space out the purchase over time, as well as ensuring that you get exactly the parts you want, without having to pay for stuff you're just going to replace. But the first time out, you may "not know what you don't know," so buying a complete rifle and learning it will give you a better foundation of knowledge and experience for when you do decide to build one yourself.

My :twocents:

Ditto.

Top Bottom