• ...and so much more!
  • sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I had this in accessories, but a member suggested I move it here:

Help! Trying to decide on the "dot size" for a new sight. I have searched threads and forums til my fingers were numb. For those of you who compete in three gun (tac iron/limited) here in Indiana... Do the nominal ranges for rifles require smaller than a 3.5 moa dot for a reticle? I understand how it all works, and I am content with 3.5 out to 200 yds. I suppose what I'm really asking is, do you see targets past 200 yds in the competitions often, at venues from Indy South?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Dot size is all about preference so you wont find a definitive answer. I personally prefer a 2 MOA dot, but I'm probably in the minority. I sell a lot more 4 moa dots. To be a 4 MOA dot feels like Im throwing a round in an area not at a spot.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm shoot tac limited this year. I had no issue with the 3 MOA dot on my bushnell trs 25. So far we've shot out to 300. Definitely agree though, is feel like I'm aiming at a spot instead of picking a point I want to hit.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Thanks guys. You hit the nail right on the head, if the venues have a lot of 300yd or greater shots, I'm looking at a '10.5" + wide' dot technically. I would definitely want to drop to more like 2 moa as a preference. If, however, there are mostly 200yd and shorter shots, I am comfortable with what I currently have. Hence the curiosity on the venues and range set ups... I know what moa(s) I like.

Aim small, miss small... right?

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Only 3 of the INMG clubs have anything over 300 yards, so there's plenty to shoot at close range. I definitely wouldn't hangs my mind on a purchase based on 3-4 targets per month. If you like the 4MOA, I say stick with it!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You need a ballistics calculator to help you decide.
    Just as an example....
    if you have a 100yd zero and at 300 yds you have 4 minutes of drop, then you can zero on the top of a 4 min dot and have some drop built in by using the bottom of the dot at 300. Anywhere in between will hit inside the dot. Playing games like that can help you figure out if 2moa or 4 is better for you. Don't get wrapped up which is more "precise" because If your hold is consistent it doesn't matter.

-rvb

Last edited:

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    With all due respect rvb, especially since you sound like someone I can glean a lot from, I don't need a ballistics calculator. I know what I like. Scheesman gave me exactly the info I needed. I'm not going to drop 5 bills on a new sight for a few long range targets. I will, however, pm when I hit that magical 50 posts. You see, I am new to long range shooting a weapon below 20mm...:biggun: (that was many moons ago) and I have a feeling if you can put up with me, I would enjoy some range time with you.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I think Ryan was trying to help, not get you to spend money. His recommendation on using a ballistic calculator wasn't meant as an insult, but as a tool. By knowing your holdover at say 300yd, you could sight your gun at 100 or 200yd to where you could place the dot like a "hat" on top of the target at 300yd. Your 100yd hold may be "low" on the target, by at least the reticle becomes useful at multiple distances. There are many ways to skin a cat, we're all just offering differing opinions.

Last edited:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just as an example....
    if you have a 100yd zero and at 300 yds you have 4 minutes of drop, then you can zero on the top of a 4 min dot and have some drop built in by using the bottom of the dot at 300. Anywhere in between will hit inside the dot. Playing games like that can help you figure out if 2moa or 4 is better for you. Don't get wrapped up which is more "precise" because If your hold is consistent it doesn't matter.

-rvb

I had never thought of zeroing on the top of the dot. That makes a lot of sense now that I see it written out. Now I need a chrono...

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I think Ryan was trying to help, not get you to spend money. His recommendation on using a ballistic calculator wasn't meant as an insult, but as a tool. By knowing your holdover at say 300yd, you could sight your gun at 100 or 200yd to where you could place the dot like a "hat" on top of the target at 300yd. Your 100yd hold may be "low" on the target, by at least the reticle becomes useful at multiple distances. There are many ways to skin a cat, we're all just offering differing opinions.

I think you are absolutely right! I wasn't trying to come off rude, and I appreciate rvb' input! So much so, that I would like to spend a day at the range with him! Oh, and rvb... congrats on escaping MD! :rockwoot:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Help! Trying to decide on the "dot size" for a new sight.

With all due respect rvb, ... I know what I like.

I thought rather than directly tell you what size to buy I'd give you some ideas to help you decide for yourself. But if you already know what you like then I'm not sure why this thread exists....

not sure how suggesting using a ballistic calculator will cost you more money...
    Handloads.Com Ballistic Calculator
    Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
    google will find dozens more....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think you are absolutely right! I wasn't trying to come off rude, and I appreciate rvb' input! So much so, that I would like to spend a day at the range with him! Oh, and rvb... congrats on escaping MD! :rockwoot:

ok, well good luck w/ your decision. hope to see you at a match soon. they're a lot of fun!

in jest:
    [video=youtube;xVTpCViyUwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTpCViyUwM[/video]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I had never thought of zeroing on the top of the dot. That makes a lot of sense now that I see it written out. Now I need a chrono...

I find w/ the dot brightness turned down, it's easier to be precise using the top of the dot (like a front sight post). shooting it that way it matters less if it's 2 or 4 moa dot size. up close hoser stuff it really doesn't matter at all. if I do want to be zero'd on the center of the dot, I'll shoot it that way and just adjust the poi to be 1/2 the dot size down from my poa. or you can do games w/ the drop like I mentioned above.

-rvb

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Just as an example....

-rvb

Where in Merlin are you from ?

Top Bottom