• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Is crimping required for safety in an AR? Is it safe to use bullets without a cannelure? If so, do you crimp those?

Somebody school me, please.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day I used to worry about do I crimp this or not crimp that, and how much. I've had 44mag rounds work loose in the cylinder or a revolver, and I've had 223 bullets work out in AR mags. Now I've been using Lee Factory Crimp dies on every caliber I reload and I've never had a problem on anything since.

Crimping isn't "always" required, but I don't think it's ever going to hurt. I crimp bullets whether they have a cannelure or not.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The age old question " to crimp or not to crimp ".If it has a cannelure it gets a standard crimp if not, it gets a very light crimp.I use the Lee Crimp Die on .233 and .308. Someone will be on shortly to tell you why they don't and it isn't needed.
    To each thier own.I've never had a problem with any rounds that are crimped so ,it works for me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    A friend of mine told me a crimp wasn't needed, but I always use a light crimp anyways. I can't see any reason not to crimp. It doesn't take long and you don't have to worry about rounds coming apart.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I always crimp. I don't want to worry about the bullet moving around no matter how they are handled or treated.
    I have magazines that bounce around in the trunk for months, better safe than sorry IMO.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Never crimped a .223, or a 30-06 (this is for a Garand). The only thing I would crimp would be for a rifle with a tube magazine..30-30.
    If there is no crimp ring in the bullet I definitely would not do it

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use the Lee Factory Crimp die for hunting and SD ammo and for light cast bullet loads. I use it for the cast bullets because I think I get more consistant ignition. Makes me feel better is probably the main reason.

I NEVER use the crimp inside the bullet seating die because the amount of crmp is dependent on case length and I don't trim unless they are beyond maximum.

I don't crimp my match ammo. I have been thinking about trying it, but I like winning money with my old standby loads with no crimp.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't crimp my match ammo. I have been thinking about trying it, but I like winning money with my old standby loads with no crimp.

I crimp my handloads that get under 1/2" at 100 yards, but then again I'm not competing either.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Only things I don't crimp right now is my 30-06 reload for my Garand, and that has as much to do with the fact that I'm using bullets with a cannular that is placed for proper cartridge OAL for 7.62 Nato. I also don't crimp my handloads for my Savage 10FP.

I use a light crimp on my .223 for AR now to make sure I have fairly consistent neck tension, and to help add a little added piece of mind that during loading into the chamber (nose of the bullet is rammed against the feed ramps) that I don't drive one in too deep on a loose case, and get an over pressure. Odds are slim, but it just takes one.

For the same reason, and to remove the flare on the case rim, I crimp my handgun rounds.

Most seating dies can crimp at the same time, so it doesn't add any time to the reloading process.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just started

I've not used a crimp die til lately. I've started doing the .308 and .223 ammo that is going in my Rattle Battle guns. (AR's) But I've not started doing the bolt action or single shot ammo yet. Most of it is seated about .010 off the lands and won't spend any time to speak of in a magazine. I really need to do some experimenting with it and see if the consistent bullet tension improves the groups.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Only things I don't crimp right now is my 30-06 reload for my Garand, and that has as much to do with the fact that I'm using bullets with a cannular that is placed for proper cartridge OAL for 7.62 Nato. I also don't crimp my handloads for my Savage 10FP.

I use a light crimp on my .223 for AR now to make sure I have fairly consistent neck tension, and to help add a little added piece of mind that during loading into the chamber (nose of the bullet is rammed against the feed ramps) that I don't drive one in too deep on a loose case, and get an over pressure. Odds are slim, but it just takes one.

For the same reason, and to remove the flare on the case rim, I crimp my handgun rounds.

Most seating dies can crimp at the same time, so it doesn't add any time to the reloading process.

If you're worried about this with an AR, your butt must be clenched when you shoot your Garand!
    The Savage will jam a bullet also.
    I still say only crimp in tubular magazine firearms

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you're worried about this with an AR, your butt must be clenched when you shoot your Garand!
    The Savage will jam a bullet also.
    I still say only crimp in tubular magazine firearms

It has definitely crossed my mind on the Garand, as it is a much more violent insertion of the case and less of a feed ramp. In fact, I may start playing with a light crimp just to see if it helps improve accuracy a bit for me (consistant neck tension).

I single feed my Savage, so not much concern there. I have tried feeding BTHP from the mag, and you are spot on, it doesn't like to feed them. FMJ's are just fine though.

Top Bottom