• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I am looking at going with a free float rail system and BUIS and will be removing the front sight. My google-fu must be slipping because I can't seem to find an answer. What do you do about the gas tube when you remove the front stock sight? do the free float rails take care of this someway? Only certain ones? Is there something you have to buy...

Any suggestions for free float quad rails under or around $200 for a rifle length AR that won't look weird without the front sight? I saw a few I like in the AR pic thread but some were a tad pricey lol.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=283439

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am looking at going with a free float rail system and BUIS and will be removing the front sight. My google-fu must be slipping because I can't seem to find an answer. What do you do about the gas tube when you remove the front stock sight? do the free float rails take care of this someway? Only certain ones? Is there something you have to buy...

Any suggestions for free float quad rails under or around $200 for a rifle length AR that won't look weird without the front sight? I saw a few I like in the AR pic thread but some were a tad pricey lol.

Depending on your FF handguard length you will need either a low profile gas block. Order the low profile and it will work for any length. Just make sure if you are using a YH front screw on cap that your FF tube length does not interfere with the gas block or you won't be able to use the cap. Something like this-
    Spike's Tactical Micro gas block (.625) [SUGB110] - $29.95 : Spikes Tactical

You might want to shop around for a used Larue or something along that line. YH tubes are good for the price but can be a PITA IMO.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When you remove your front sight/gas block you have to replace it with a cut down gas block. You can get the type with a rail on top to mount your BUIS or a lo profile with no rail. There are numerous types of gas blocks available. Look around on AR15.com for some ideas.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    that just seems so.... mean lol thanks for the info guys. I'd probably go the micro gas block route... or are new front sights less than $30?

Depends on whether you want an extra part laying around. They are about the same, $25-35. Extra parts laying around have this expensive tendency to turn into more ARs. I try to reduce the temptation.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Low-pro gas block + 10" (or longer) rail + front flip-up BUIS = WIN!

I've also seen guys simply chop off the top of the FSB for a "no gunsmithing" option and it worked fine.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Assuming your existing gas block is pinned just cut off the sights and grind it down to fit. In my opinion you are always better off with a pinned gas block than one using set screws.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm not advocating these, just what I found with a quick look on midwayusa. Looks like you can have both for around your $200 mark. YHM also makes some gas blocks with a flip up front sight built in for just a little more, if you want to go that route.

I'd also think you could put the front sight back on after installing the free float rail if you are so inclined. Don't know what optics you are using, but having the front sight in place might not be an issue. And is one less thing you would have to deploy should you want to move to iron sights.

Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Free Float Tube Handguard AR-15 Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

Yankee Hill Machine Gas Block Single Picatinny Rail with Bayonet Lug & Sling Swivel AR-15 Standard Barrel .750" Inside Diameter Steel Matte - MidwayUSA

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Chop the factory front sight, like in the above video.

It is cheap, durable and effective.

Apply a little Cold blue, available at any gunshop, to the areas that have exposed metal, and call it done.

Top Bottom