• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I bought a RRA upper at the indy gun show this weekend and wanted to buy a lower so I could yote hunt with it this year. Found one I wanted but when the lady came back to me she said I was too young to buy it (few months short of 21). So I can't buy any sort of lower until I'm the "right" age the government says? Even if it has a fixed stock on it? Is it legal for me to buy a lower off of an individual that didn't buy it with the intention of selling it to me?

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I ran into the problem as well, I was told it was because the "lower" could be converted into a pistol AR 15. Thats why you can get a rifle barrel shipped to your house but not a stripped lower, or any type of lower for that matter. I am not sure if its legal to buy it off of an individual, but its a question I have also wondered and am looking forward to the answer.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    you can buy from an individual. you (as an Indiana resident) can not buy from an FFL. A lower AR receiver marked or not, can be converted to a pistol. You have to be 21 to buy a pistol from an FFL.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Yes it is perfectly legal for you to purchase a lower from a private seller.

Lowers can be built either as a pistol or rifle that is why you have to be 21.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    you can buy from an individual. you (as an Indiana resident) can not buy from an FFL. A lower AR receiver marked or not, can be converted to a pistol. You have to be 21 to buy a pistol from an FFL.

So, could an 18 year old buy a lower from a family member over the age of 21?

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    So say I am 21 and bought a lower. Do I have to tell the FFL what the receiver will by used for? I know with 10/22's you aren't allowed to switch back and forth between pistol and rifle. I'm assuming its the same for AR's? If so, why is it an issue to buy a lower under 21 if it would be registered under a long rifle?

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana

As former class 07 FFL holder and Veteran it always ticked me off the laws being the way they are.

But you can at 18 enlist and serve but no privately owned pistol or cold beer for you.

Would be nice if the laws made sense across the board huh?

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    So say I am 21 and bought a lower. Do I have to tell the FFL what the receiver will by used for? I know with 10/22's you aren't allowed to switch back and forth between pistol and rifle. I'm assuming its the same for AR's? If so, why is it an issue to buy a lower under 21 if it would be registered under a long rifle?

No,i've never had a FFL ask what it will be used for. On the paperwork it goes down as "other" by my understanding. But obviously the gunshop owner or whoever will probably ask you what your building out of curiousity.

Top Bottom